Wyoming 2014.....

Colberjs

My wife and I have some friends that live in/near Lander, Wy. My wife doesn't like it much when I leave for extended hunting trips but has agreed to go to Wyoming with me to visit our friends while I hunt. Map says it's near the Shoshone Nat'l Forest. I'm wondering what kind of tags I can get OTC and if there are any decent areas to hunt there. The girls step-son will be hunting in Fremont county. Last year he was near Dubois. These are areas that appear to be pretty close to where I will be.

I prefer to hunt elk but mulies and antelope are perfectly acceptable.

So, what are my options? I looked at the wildlife department website but have a hard time making heads or tails of it. I was told the boys friend got a non-res. deer tag for around $200.I'm open to archery, muzzleloader and rifle but prefer to not be there when the temps are ridiculously cold. Haha.

Haha. I tried. It's quite confusing to me. I'm used to the Oklahoma regs. They are dumbed down for is Okies.

I have to agree with you on the confusing website and regulations and I have been pouring over them for several years! Not user friendly for somebody like me at least.

No
All licenses are draw. Most LE tags are for a single unit, gen tags are valid in all the "general" units. Season dates are listed in a PDF file on the web site and will list dates and whether the unit is LE or gen. LE units will be listed by type and dates as in type 1 oct 1 then if a cow hunt is avail type 4. Reduced price are usually for a sub area and are type 6 or type 7.
All deer and antelope doe tags are type 6 or 7. No type 4.

Last edited:
I looked for the same, could not make heads or tails of the regs, so I called the Cheyenne office twice and got zero help from both people I talked to.

Yup, the Wyoming website and regs can be tough to figure out.
There really are no OTC tags, it's all draw and then there will be left over tags which in almost all cases are in areas with very difficult public access.
The gmu's are not the same for antelope - deer - elk, etc. different numbers and different boundaries.
Nonresidents can't go in a wilderness area without a guide or a resident with some kind of special permit or something.
It takes varying amounts of preference points to draw different tags and the time to buy those points has passed. There's also the "special" license you can buy...and you guessed it - cost is about double but doesn't take as many preference points.
All this and more is there for the finding on the website assuming you have the time to dig it out.

Specific questions will get specific answers.

I agree things can be confusing. Wyoming uses different numbers for elk,deer and antelope units. I find it helpful to look at diy hunting maps. Click on Wyoming then the animal you want. If you click on the south west corner you will see aall the elk units around lander and to the west.If you click on a unit like 28 you will see boxes with most of the info you need. You can even view map detail. Check it out and you will understand. General units take 1 pt to draw. If you don't have a pt for next year you could draw it on the special for around $1000 or look for units that had leftover tags. Usually you can find cow tags. Hunt cows for the first year and learn the area it's cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back