Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY unit 63 when to go?

WinkB

Good morning,
I will be hunting Antelope in WY for the first time this year and I have drawn unit 63. I have no experience with this unit and what may lie ahead. I am attempting to so as much preliminary online scouting as reasonable. Currently I am planning on a solo hunt and plan to camp out where I hunt. It is about a 16 hour drive one way for me so I would like to drive day 1, hunt for 2-3 days then head home. My time is limited so I would like to make it as productive as possible.

I am trying to determine if it is better to go opening weekend or if it really matters.

Any thoughts as to when I should attempt to hunt this unit I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you,

A week or 2 into October will be a lot less pressure and still lots of animals. I've never been there opening week though.

If your goal is go have a fun trip, with no particular trophy antelope criteria in mind, no other hunters around, go mid week, the last week of Sept or the first week of Oct. The deer/elk seasons are also limited quota there, but if you wait until after the first week of October you'll have a few deer and elk hunters around also. Down side is 300-400 bucks will already be dead in your unit. Up side is, the remaining goats will likely be in bigger groups, easier to find and evaluate side by side. If you want a big trophy, I'd suggest being in Wyoming 2 full days prior to the hunt, looking. The season opens on a Saturday and it will likely be busy that weekend, but killing a big buck the first 30 minutes of shooting light is pretty easy if you are watching him Friday the 14th. The 13th and 14th will likely not be busy at all.

I've always gone the first weekend in October in 63. I haven't seen many other hunters then. I've also seen quite a few loners. I may go earlier this year so I can hunt sage grouse.

I am not looking for a trophy, just a good time. Thank you for the input and I will start formulating a plan around the first part of October.

I've only had a type 2 or 7 tag, so I've only hunted east of Buzzard road. The antelope are plentiful. NEVER crest a ridge in your vehicle. If there are any antelope in the next drainage, you'll bust them. Get out of your vehicle and slowly peak over the hill to see what's there. Take your time. The coloration of the terrain out there can make it really tough to spot an antelope in my experience.

Good morning,
I will be hunting Antelope in WY for the first time this year and I have drawn unit 63. I have no experience with this unit and what may lie ahead. I am attempting to so as much preliminary online scouting as reasonable. Currently I am planning on a solo hunt and plan to camp out where I hunt. It is about a 16 hour drive one way for me so I would like to drive day 1, hunt for 2-3 days then head home. My time is limited so I would like to make it as productive as possible.

I am trying to determine if it is better to go opening weekend or if it really matters.

Any thoughts as to when I should attempt to hunt this unit I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you,

Opening Weekend. There are people, but there are antelope.

The issue I have is the amount of doe tags they give in the unit at least the type 7 portion. It went from 25 to 200 to 200.

I have hunted it the last two years and have another tag for it this year.

Access can be tricky east of buzzard road, because the roads are not marked and there is private in the area.

There is a HMA in the unit that I have never been too.

A four wheeler can be nice in the unit, because a bunch of the two tracks can get a bit rough.

Fishing is better later than earlier. The water is a bit warmer opening weekend and later when the browns start running out of pathfinder there will be elbow room fishing in some holes.

If you are taking a trailer, I would not recommend going over Seminoe to get into the unit. I would use Hanna or Alcova to get there instead.

If you have anymore questions, shoot me a PM.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back