Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY Unit 30 - HMA and Walk In Areas

lbirch

I was looking forward to hunting deer in Montana this year. I've never taken a whitetail but was kind of looking forward to hunting mule deer in the rut. Well, a friend drew a nice deer tag in NV (for the 4th time) and a once in a lifetime buffalo hunt in UT (he had max points). I couldn't pass up the opportunity to help so I turned in my MT deer tag and bought a left over WY antelope tag instead. I may be crazy but it seamed like a good idea.

In doing my research for this area I bought a land status map, got permission for the Hermit Rock HMA and have looked over the area including the HMA and the walk in areas on Google earth numerous times.

I'm not looking for specifics here, just wondering if the Hermit Rock HMA and the two walk in areas hold a decent amount of antelope or is it sparsely populated? Has anyone ever hunted this HMA or the two walk in areas? Not the archery only ones.

walk in areas sucked last year. I hunted the HMA north of the freeway. 3 bucks in 1 1/2 days. Not very many antelope. Went to a different unit this year.

The only way I would hunt that unit again is if I got skunked in the draw and other units were sold out.

Back