WY Mule Deer - Area 118

Kiwi

This year I am planning to try for a mule deer. I've hunted mule deer a few times and it has been the most challenging hunt for me and so far I haven't been successful. This year I decided to go all out and apply for MT, WY and ID deer tags. So far I have a MT general tag and I just drew a Area 118 WY tag. I plan to hunt both WY and MT. I'm super excited and this will be my 5th year in a row hunting North America (WY twice, CO & Alberta) DIY on public land.

I have booked my flights and fly into Bozeman on Oct 17, pick up a rental car and head straight to Cody for the first night but from there I'm still not sure. Maybe stay in Meeteetse or Thermopolis. But if any one has any suggested 118 camping spots I would be grateful to get these recommendations. My plan is to spend a week hunting 118 and then head up to eastern MT to hunt the deer opening there.

I will continue my research, as much as I can from New Zealand, but if anyone has recent first hand info on deer in 118 it would be great to hear from you.

As always if anyone what's info on hunting New Zealand just ask.

Thanks.

Meeteetse will be your best bet for lodging the motel there is set up to accommodate hunters. Not much for amenities in Meeteetse a motel, gas station, and bar/restaurant. there is a far amount of access in 118 and you should be able to find a camping spot easily enough. I have seen some nice deer in there although I wouldn't pass a 160" class buck in that unit and don't be surprised if you find a big whitetail. Make sure you apply for and print off your Absaroka hunter management permission slip from the the Game and fish website. The LU ranch and PAR ranch allow access with this.

I should mention if you decide to camp or while your hunting expect grizzly encounters (even down low on the BLM). The area isn't loaded with bears but enough a guy should take the necessary pre-cautions

Thanks BackcountryMulies and Washington Hunter!

Meeteetse sounds like my kind of town. I prefer small towns and maybe I"ll head there for my first night before camping or staying at Grass Creek Ranch. I looked Grass Creek Ranch online and looks like a cool spot. Its awesome to plan a hunt in WY and knowing that even if I don't see a deer it will be an amazing experience.

I definitely wont pass on a 160" buck. That would be my dream trophy, which would be shoulder mounted and take pride of place in my NZ house :)

I'll print off my Absaroka hunter management permission slip, and have been studying onx for LU and PAR access.

It am tempted to buy a non resident black beer tag, but I guess the chances of seeing a black bear in Oct are low?

Reactions: LCH
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back