WY Gen deer Rifle Pressure during Elk Archery

nontyp

How much pressure does the general rifle deer season add to the pressure in general elk units? I’m sure it varies. planning to archery hunt elk in western WY mid september.

How much pressure does the general rifle deer season add to the pressure in general elk units? I’m sure it varies. planning to archery hunt elk in western WY mid september.
I archery hunted a general elk tag in Western Wyoming last season and was there on the general rifle deer opening day. Never seen quite such a cluster of guys driving the roads drinking beer - put CO otc elk units to shame. Everyone seemed to be having a great time though, the few we talked to mostly hadn’t seen anything but were just out for a ride with a rifle. HOWEVER, we were in elk almost everyday an hour hike off the roads. The only issue we had was a guy shot at a buck about a dozen times (killed him though) within about half a mile of where we were working a bull - that shut the elk up in that drainage for a while. So my very limited experience would say get a mile off the road and don’t worry about the deer hunters.

I archery hunted a general elk tag in Western Wyoming last season and was there on the general rifle deer opening day. Never seen quite such a cluster of guys driving the roads drinking beer - put CO otc elk units to shame. Everyone seemed to be having a great time though, the few we talked to mostly hadn’t seen anything but were just out for a ride with a rifle. HOWEVER, we were in elk almost everyday an hour hike off the roads. The only issue we had was a guy shot at a buck about a dozen times (killed him though) within about half a mile of where we were working a bull - that shut the elk up in that drainage for a while. So my very limited experience would say get a mile off the road and don’t worry about the deer hunters.
LOL! I have never seen this before either. I sat up high on a mountain looking down at a main road and watched people driving up and down the roads in their ATV's. They would stop, shut the engine off, make a few calls, listen, then drive down the road and repeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back