Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY Elk unit 25/27

Goatshoes

Anybody on here have any experience with WY elk unit 25/27, archery or general? I am looking for some very general info. PM would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I have deer hunted in those units a couple times. I have seen and heard elk while I was there. Once, I stumbled upon a nice herd bull and several cows milling around in the middle of the rifle season, 1/2 mile from my truck. I hiked out and ran into another hunter sitting in his camp at the trailhead. He had been there a full week and hadn't seen an elk. Pretty classic symptoms, ATVs, beer cans strewn about, smoking a dart with his coffee. My impression is that unit doesn't get much off-road hunting pressure.

Low hunting pressure would be nice. You won't find those things in my camp until there is a dead elk and then it would still be tidy.

Depends on what you want to know. We hunt it regularly. For a NR I feel there are general units with better hunting. The points for NR are up over 9 now and sorry but I feel for 9 points you could have had 3 really good general hunts instead. Unit 27 side is thick and sucks, tons of blow down, making it really hard to get to the elk. 2 years ago we had that massive wind storm that took many stands of trees in the unit stacked the dead fall 4-5 foot high. It has taken me 2 years to figure out how to move through certain areas with any sort of speed. On the 25 side there are more elk and they are easier to see, however accessing them can be difficult as there is a lot of mixed private public. Often times you will find guys lined up waiting for the elk to leave the private. Get the right day and you will be covered with elk or you might spend 10 days and never see an elk off the private.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back