Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY app dates question

rmyoung1

There's been a ton of hubbub surrounding Wyoming's new nonresident elk application dates for 2020. Let me be clear: I'm not whining (yes, I'm still applying in '20). I'm not grinding an ax (parting with the $$$ for a few months isn't gonna kill me). I'm honestly just curious. I wanted to see if anyone knew anything because the reaction from the nonresident crowd was pretty predictable. So... here's my question: Why didn't Wyoming just shift the application date from Jan 31 to May 8, which is the new app amendment deadline? Does anyone know? It seems like they're inviting the you're-just-trying-to-make-interest-money-off-me accusation by keeping the Jan 31 app deadline. I actually think the reasoning behind waiting for the draw until May makes perfect sense. I'm just wondering why they didn't just shift the whole app deadline back to May. Anyone have an answer?

WyOGA had a concern that shifting the date to May would cause people to be already locked into hunts in other states and therefore be less likely to commit to hunt with them in Wyoming. By leaving the date in January they felt they could get more committed clients earlier in the year.

Interesting that WY G&F would be willing to absorb the blowback from the nonresident applicants for the sake of WYOGA preferences. Perhaps WYOGA blowback is more painful than nonresident applicant blowback. 🤷🏻‍♂️ @mulecreek , I appreciate the response. That question has been nagging me.

Last edited:
I actually view it as a decent compromise by the G&F Commission. Whether we like it or not Outfitting in Wyoming is a big business. Many on this website may have issues with it but it doesn't change the fact that they bring money into the State. A lot of people on this website like to push how big tourism is to Wyoming when it benefits them in regards to keeping public land public, etc but then get pissed off when the State supports the tourism industry.

WyOGA and its members have some clout with the Commission. Not as much as in the past but they don't turn a blind eye either. WyOGA wanted the whole thing left alone. The Commission knew the early draw was a problem. This to a large degree solves the problem for the resident hunters entirely while giving the other two minority parties (outfitters and NR's)something but not everything they wanted. Residents that were pissed about the mis-allocaton of tags and violation of State statute got that issue solved completely. Outfitters got the January app deadline but had to give up the later draw date. NR's got the ability to pull their apps in early May but had to give up the earlier draw and possible mis-allocation of tags. Since this issue isn't really about the management of animals but rather the management of people and businesses, I think the Commission was right to put the Residents first and then WyOGA and the NR's. I think this is how all States should operate on these issues.

Besides what mulecreek said, which is 100% spot on, I think Wyoming might want to consider not charging the license fee's up front.

Although, that said, many of the newer people to Western hunting have forgotten or don't know what it used to be like applying back in the day. Most every state wanted the money up front and it was all paper applications.

Having your money held in multiple states for 3-4 months was just the cost of doing business...and having 5-10K in application money being held wasn't unusual.

So, while I understand the whining about holding NR elk license fee's, I also have a tendency to want to say, "yeah, cry on someone else's shoulder buttercup."

Besides what mulecreek said, which is 100% spot on, I think Wyoming might want to consider not charging the license fee's up front.

Although, that said, many of the newer people to Western hunting have forgotten or don't know what it used to be like applying back in the day. Most every state wanted the money up front and it was all paper applications.

Having your money held in multiple states for 3-4 months was just the cost of doing business...and having 5-10K in application money being held wasn't unusual.

So, while I understand the whining about holding NR elk license fee's, I also have a tendency to want to say, "yeah, cry on someone else's shoulder buttercup."
Very true. And there's a cost for all the convenience, for sure. For example, moving to credit card applications with no license fee charges up front is going to absolutely destroy Colorado draw odds for moose/sheep/goat when people clear the 3-year preference point period. The odds were long to begin with. Now, I'm afraid they'll be Utah-esque. As an applicant eager for a sheep tag, I'm not sure paper applications, paper checks, and slow turn-around times are a bad thing. :)

Last edited:
I actually view it as a decent compromise by the G&F Commission. Whether we like it or not Outfitting in Wyoming is a big business. Many on this website may have issues with it but it doesn't change the fact that they bring money into the State. A lot of people on this website like to push how big tourism is to Wyoming when it benefits them in regards to keeping public land public, etc but then get pissed off when the State supports the tourism industry.

WyOGA and its members have some clout with the Commission. Not as much as in the past but they don't turn a blind eye either. WyOGA wanted the whole thing left alone. The Commission knew the early draw was a problem. This to a large degree solves the problem for the resident hunters entirely while giving the other two minority parties (outfitters and NR's)something but not everything they wanted. Residents that were pissed about the mis-allocaton of tags and violation of State statute got that issue solved completely. Outfitters got the January app deadline but had to give up the later draw date. NR's got the ability to pull their apps in early May but had to give up the earlier draw and possible mis-allocation of tags. Since this issue isn't really about the management of animals but rather the management of people and businesses, I think the Commission was right to put the Residents first and then WyOGA and the NR's. I think this is how all States should operate on these issues.
Good post. I wish Colorado would put Colorado residents first, but NR OTC is straight cash for P&W.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back