Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WTB 30-06 Premium Ammo Nosler, Federal, Hornady

Why you say that?
I'm not certain what happened. The same thing happened with both antelope first was a buck at 290 yards broadside entry right behind the shoulder I was unable to find a clear exit wound. There was a gash/tear low on the stomach about halfway back that his stomach was hanging from. Next day I shot a doe at 160 yards and the same deal entry right behind shoulder slightly quartering away but no clear exit giant gash low on stomach but this time her entire stomach was laying at the impact sight. Both animals only ran short distances before expiring so it did kill just fine but I swear it seemed like the round exploded in them. Found some pieces of the bullet in the offside shoulder of the doe. I've killed several antelope with Hornady SST and while they do leave a significant exit wound at least they stayed together enough to leave a exit wound. I had no complaints on papers very accurate but won't be using again.

I'm not certain what happened. The same thing happened with both antelope first was a buck at 290 yards broadside entry right behind the shoulder I was unable to find a clear exit wound. There was a gash/tear low on the stomach about halfway back that his stomach was hanging from. Next day I shot a doe at 160 yards and the same deal entry right behind shoulder slightly quartering away but no clear exit giant gash low on stomach but this time her entire stomach was laying at the impact sight. Both animals only ran short distances before expiring so it did kill just fine but I swear it seemed like the round exploded in them. Found some pieces of the bullet in the offside shoulder of the doe. I've killed several antelope with Hornady SST and while they do leave a significant exit wound at least they stayed together enough to leave a exit wound. I had no complaints on papers very accurate but won't be using again.
From what I have read and researched, that's what the bullet is designed to do. It is designed upon impact to rapidly and violently fragment.

Massive wound channels/tissue damage=faster death for the animal vs pencil wound channels.

Last edited:
I love those Hornady SST's.

From what I have read and researched, that's what the bullet is designed to do. It is designed upon impact to rapidly and violently fragment.

Massive wound channels/tissue damage=faster death for the animal vs pencil wound channels.
It definitely rapidly and violently fragmented. But I wouldn't describe it as a "wound channel" more like a detonation site. A massive wound channel to me means a large exit in line with the entry not what happened with the ELDX. The buck I killed ran further then any other antelope I've shot 30-40 yards doe only went about 10 yards. They definitely work on deer/antelope size game I just feel there's a ton of better options although I'd be concerned how they'd perform on a elk. If massive wound channel is your thing the SST is a good option here is a exit wound from a antelope that was quartering away. Personally I've come to like the Partitions for just about everything.20190916_173129.jpg

I have an OLD box in the closet. Not sure if it would interest you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back