• Yes foil

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Yes paper

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No wrap

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

wyoboypt

My first brisket has so far been my best wrapped in foil. But you lose the bark. I’ve tried paper a couple times now and it hasn’t been good. But I also found out I was supposed to be probing the flat, not the point. Ended up with dry tough brisket. Now I’ve been reading some of you guys wrap when it comes off??? If you wrap, when? And with what?

I do full packer briskets and not just the flat and never wrap. always great.

wyoboypt, what sort of smoker you using?

No wrap. I do packers on a weber smoker. Probe flat and smoke to temp, pull and separate the flat/point, flat then rests wrapped and placed in a cooler while point finishes for a few hours.

They are usually pretty close in temp but I like the point cooked a tad more. I pull and separate at 190ish depending on feel. I like to get the point up to 205ish, so another hour or so. Gives the flat time to rest too.

I stick to foil ever since I ruined most of a pork butt after the paper charred and imparted an awful taste to the outside.

I smoke to 165 and then wrap in foil to 195. I pull it and put it in a small cooler to finish it. Usually 2 hours or so. Haven’t had a bad one yet.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back