Would you feel confident using your buddys rifle?

pa mt man

I just read an old story about elk hunting in this months Bugle. During the hunt one guy shot an elk,then passed his buddy his gun and he shot one 350 yards away. When I shoot my sons or brothers guns at the range (which is rare) I find we group at different spots and thats just to 100 yards. We all practice to 400 yards but with our own guns. Would you feel confident using your hunting partners gun?

Not at 350 yards! INHO.
wink.gif

Sure, if that was the only option open for hunting and only if I had some time behind the trigger previously. I think guns are less problematic for switching between operators than say bows.

No problem, if i had shot it before the hunt, i dropped my antelope at 400 yds. i shot instant kill, what do you think hi-power rifles are for?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>i dropped my antelope at 400 yds. i shot instant kill, what do you think hi-power rifles are for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't say I wouldn't shoot at 350 yards, I said I wouldn't shoot my buddy's rifle at 350 yards. That was the question, wasn't it?
tongue.gif

I should have given more details. It was a hunting trip from 1944, the elk was 350 yards away, running, 270 cal and I don't think he had shot the gun before, because the first hunter had to tell him "lead him but don't hold very high, he's only about 350 and I'm sighted in for 300!" He shot behind the elk on the first shot and broke his neck on the second.
I used my sons gun to take my first elk, this year at 394 yards (range finder). He couldn't make it. But I practiced with it all summer before I left. Used mine as a back up.
CiCi, You must hit the same zero as your friend. My sons and I are not too far off, but my daughter and I are not even close. 4 inches difference at 100 yards.don

Like others have said - only if I had shot it beforehand and knew I was hitting close wiht his sights. The amount of difference would determine the maximum range I would shoot. For example, if I was 3 inches off at 100 yards, I might shoot at 100 yards with Kentucky windage - but not at 350 yards.

I only know one guys rifles I would shoot. i wouldnt have a problem shooting past 500 yards. but all the others I know I wouldnt shoot past 100 yards if that.
Delw

Heck I dont have any buddies that know me who would loan me a rifle unless it was to shoot myself.
eek.gif

Actually I did have someone loan me a rifle to hunt with. I never shot it and I still didnt shoot it even when I had the chance at 50 yards. I guess I wouldnt do it unless I had already shot the rifle before.

Now it has been proven here that Vipe and all 3 boys can use the rifles here with the same POA as each other. Comes in kinda handy.
wink.gif

Have you guys really seen that much of a difference in point of impact between different shooters with the group sizes being similar?

CH, you sure your using your dominant eye?

I've used weapons sighted in by other guys, even out to 400 yards, BUT I've never (and will never) handle my buddies GUN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back