Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Would this work for you?

I've shot a handful of elk with my .308, all 165gn bullets. A couple were with Hornady Interbond, a couple with Nosler Accubonds, one was with a standard Hornady BTSP Interlock. All loads were going about 2700fps or a little higher, and all animals were between 250 and 300yds. Anyway, do what you want, but in my opinion, I think shooting an elk with a match grade bullet is asking for trouble. Admittedly, I've never done it, but that's entirely because I'd rather not.
They work fine. Imho - better than traditional hunting bullets at slower speeds from a non mag cartridge.

165 gr. Accubond I'd try this bullet. It is extremely accurate and performs like a champ! Mushrooms nicely and penetrates very well.

I think most people have killed elk with cup-and-core bullets, but the point I was simply trying to make in my post is that match bullets are designed for punching holes in paper, not 500lb ice age beasts. That's all.
I agree with you 100%!

For the past almost 20 years, my "go to" hunting bullet for my 7 mm RM has been the 160 gr Accubond. I've used it on elk and antelope here in Montana, a variety of African animals, and I even used them to put two caribou species and my 900 lb ice age Hippie cow into the B&C Record book. I really don't have any reason to change from that bullet.

But earlier this winter I fell into the current high Ballistic Coefficient craze and bought 500 168 gr HPBT factory seconds 7 mm bullets. I haven't worked up a load for them yet, and if they group well, they should make a great steel load on our range gongs that we have out to 430 yds.

Then, if they do shoot moa past 400 yds, there's always the thought of how would they work on game animals?

For the last 5 or so years, I've been testing bullets in gallon water jugs at 100 yds, mainly for penetration, but also to see how the bullets expand, if I can find them. If nothing else, it's fun to see the water jugs explode!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back