Would anyone else care to give praise to the .308 ?

The 308 is adequate for 99% of shots actually taken on NA game. I believe most shots beyond its effective range are generally by choice rather than necessity.
Other than shot's taken in self defense, all shots are taken by choice.

Referring to the practice of shooting game at longer distances. I’ve done it, mostly because I could, not really because I needed to. The majority of big game Ive killed east and west has been well within the capabilities of a .308.

I grew up on the 300 savage which if I remember right, contributed to the 308. Great all around round, I feel like it gets forgotten over the newer cartridges sometimes.

Referring to the practice of shooting game at longer distances. I’ve done it, mostly because I could, not really because I needed to. The majority of big game Ive killed east and west has been well within the capabilities of a .308.
Here in the Northeast, the .308 is plenty capable. It can reach out to extreme range shots, well past 40 yards!

308 novice here. I have used it for a couple years now and so for it has worked great for deer. Working on selecting an all around load this summer.

Since I replied to this thread a while back, I was moving some rifles around in my gun safe and I found another .308 that I had bought off the internet about 6 years ago, and because the shroud safety didn't work, I had put it in the back of my safe and forgot about it.

It's got a 24" blued barrel with a Mauser 98 action in a camo painted plastic stock with a Fajen recoil pad. The barrel is free floated and the action is pillar and glass bedded that I think that I did when I got it. I have shot sub moa groups with it.

One of my friends that I shoot Skeet with every week does gunsmithing work on the side, and a couple of weeks ago I told him about this rifle. So last week he gave me a new Mauser bolt shroud and I came home and put it on the bolt of my rifle.

Now I have the bug to finish remaking this rifle: I ordered a Timney trigger with a side safety, and I ordered a spacer and new grind to fit recoil pad which will make the stock fit me. After I get that done I'll paint over the camo stock and then I'll have two .308 Win rifles to do something with.

The stats do not lie. It usually sells among the top 3 big game cartridges. Kills effectively when the nut behind the trigger does their job. Isn't the soup dujour or a long range round but is strangely found in most safes by guys who fill freezers. It sucks. I have 2.

Since I began my, often near obsession, with center-fire hunting rifles fifty-four years ago, there is one caliber i almost always avoided. The .308 Winchester. I bought rifles chambered in everything else but the .308. Three 7x57's for example, and the same number of 30-06's.

Finn Aggard once wrote that absolutely no other caliber could beat the .308 when it came to "game-field utility".

One day, 12 years ago, I could not resist buying a used Sako 75 Finnlight carbine in .308. I bought the gun not the caliber.

Now I undrstand why Finn gave that stubby little caliber such a huge compliment.

Anybody else have compliments for the .308 ?
I have had a passion for collecting rifles for years and shooting different calibers. I have used the 257 WeaBy Mag, 270 Weaby Mag, 300 Weaby Mag, 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 270 Win, 243 Win, 6 mm Rem 308 Win and the 3006 Springfield. Today in my safe I only have rifles in 3006 and 308….. I am pretty sure the 3006s will be the next to go… As for my 308 rifles, my wife will have to sell them when I pass…………..

My favorite cartridge. I've taken multiple deer, antelope and elk with the round. If you can't get it done with the 308 the fault is entirely your own. Period.
Yep,
I use a .308 more than anything and it fills my freezer year after year. No drama.

I like mine well enough I suppose. A couple deer didn’t seem to care much for it

It is my one and only hunting rifle. Gets the job done for anything I would ever hunt. It's a classic, I like classics. It has tons of load testing so great for reloading. Ammo is readily available...... most of the time.

I switched to the 308 win about 4 years ago. I’ve killed 3 elk and probably 12 whitetails, along with probably 40 hogs. Gave my 30-06 to my son. I see no need to go back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back