Worth it to have the action trued

Learn how to read. He said 800 – 1000 at the range.
He did mention 800-1000 but 1000 is certainly in there. Two things to learn about hunting. You only have to learn to shoot to do it at 1000 or even much less range. It is not hunting, it is shooting. On the other hand limit yourself to say 250yds and suddenly you need to learn to hunt! Of course good shooting even at 250yds does require learning to shoot well!

I agree with others. I wouldn’t true it but I’d use an aftermarket recoil lug and barrel nut.
Are you using the factory stock? I’d probably rough up the lug area and degrease it well. Then bed it and see how the rifle shoots.
You might also look into a bolt lift kit for the 110.
For now we are going to use the factory stock.

He did mention 800-1000 but 1000 is certainly in there. Two things to learn about hunting. You only have to learn to shoot to do it at 1000 or even much less range. It is not hunting, it is shooting. On the other hand limit yourself to say 250yds and suddenly you need to learn to hunt! Of course good shooting even at 250yds does require learning to shoot well!
Where I live, you can only get a gun tag every 5-6 years. Most of our deer hunting is spot and stalk archery hunting. I stalked and shot my deer with a bow at 10 yards this year, my wife 20. We pretty much only shoot our rifles at the range.

Savage Model 10 in an MDT XRS heavy at about 11 lbs. factory Accutrigger that’s been adjusted for no creep and taken the lawyer out. Set at 2.5#. I don’t think I could get the factory trigger much lower in weight. They make a target kit for it, but I think the Sav-2 trigger would be better money spent.

Savage model 11 in a Bell & Carlson M40 Varmint/ tactical stock. 8.5#. Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger. Also set to 2.5#. Could go down to 8 oz if I wanted to.

Neither one needs to be bedded and they are directly interchangeable between actions. Both barrels were spun on with trued recoil lugs and barrel nuts. The model 10 is a .223 wylde 1:9 criterion and the model 11 is an EABCO .260 Remington 1:8

IMG_7704.jpeg

The model 10. The load has developed to shooting just as good as the model 11 and sub-1/3
IMG_6790.jpeg
The model 11
IMG_7936.jpeg

Best thing you can do is put the Sav-2 trigger in and set it to the weight you want. The lawyer settings on these guns destroy them. Super simple to adjust.

If you want an absolutely awesome stock…

Get a Woox.IMG_7885.jpeg

Last edited:
Stevens model 200. Same thing as the Savage Model 110. Just not as “detail machined”

LA .30-06. As factory as they get. This was supposed to have been the donor action for the rifle I built out of the big horn origin. I’m slowly stoning things and smoothing the action so it functions nicer. I’ll probably spend the $450 to have it PVD coated like the Origin action.

The trigger is a pre-accutrigger model. I’m looking for springs so I can get the trigger weight lower to a more target model. It adjusts very similar to the Sav-2 I put into the model 11 above. It’s also set to 2 1/2 lb trigger pull.

Just don’t think I want lower than that for a hunting rifle.

The muzzle break is made by Witt Machine. Knocks the recoil back like my .243. This gun is light at about 6 1/2 lbs.
IMG_0230.jpeg

@chevyman181 ,

Any updates?
Valentine's day seems like so long ago, now. Lol
Probably not the best pictures but here she is. We may cut the barrel down a bit when the suppressors arrive but for now. We just started load development, definitely faster than the last barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_173005935.jpg
    IMG_20230712_173005935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230712_172950634.jpg
    IMG_20230712_172950634.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Uhhhh......

Not quite what I was expecting for your wife's rifle. :rolleyes:

But if she likes it...
What where you expecting? She has an old Remington 700 in 30/06 that was her grandfather's and a model 7 in 7-08 that was her first gun that she uses from time to time but this it was she takes if she's going to be out for awhile.

What where you expecting? She has an old Remington 700 in 30/06 that was her grandfather's and a model 7 in 7-08 that was her first gun that she uses from time to time but this it was she takes if she's going to be out for awhile.

All that matters is if she likes it.

I think you’re best bet would be installing a Sav-2 trigger for her and getting her a solid crisp trigger if you really want to help her accuracy over anything else.

All of the triggers I’ve got, they all can be set up nicely including her accutrigger, but the Sav-2 was the easiest to do with the best results.

Gotta admit, I was thinking a more "traditional" style.
Nice wood, blued, 22-24" barrel to take advantage of the extra powder charge with the 280AI.

But I can see the advantages of the rifle, as is!

As said, if she's happy with it, it don't matter what anyone else thinks!!!

I've done the Rifle Basix SAV2 trigger.
Along with a modified SAV2 trigger. Breaks at 6oz.

For hunting and range sessions, I still rather like the Accutrigger.

Gotta admit, I was thinking a more "traditional" style.
Nice wood, blued, 22-24" barrel to take advantage of the extra powder charge with the 280AI.

But I can see the advantages of the rifle, as is!

As said, if she's happy with it, it don't matter what anyone else thinks!!!

I've done the Rifle Basix SAV2 trigger.
Along with a modified SAV2 trigger. Breaks at 6oz.

For hunting and range sessions, I still rather like the Accutrigger.
Yeah, it has a 26 in barrel currently. If we cut it down, it won't be any shorter than 22in..

SELL IT AND BUY A NEW RIFLE. DON'T EVEN THINK TWICE. OR TRADE IT IN ON A CUSTOM RIFLE, UNLESS YOURE MARRIED TO THE DAMN THING.

Back