Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Workouts! What are we doing to prepare?

Any of you old timers recall Moosie's work out story....

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I’m at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Sandbag workout today. You can substitute a plate in for most of these exercises if need be.

10 Rounds of the following for time!

-Sandbag Thrusters x10
-Lateral Sandbag Drag x10ea.
-Sandbag Push-up x10
-Sandbag Overhead Walking Lunge x10ea.
-Sandbag Ruck Run x100 yards

I ran 6 miles Sunday morning for the start of my marathon training program. Went to the gym later in the day to get started with my weight training again. I quickly realized how old and weak I have gotten.

Will be 59 soon and headed to Wyoming for first DIY Elk hunt. Started elliptical 6 weeks ago. 7 nights a week to start at 5 nights now doing 60-80 minutes per. Will be adding pack and 20-30 lbs next week. What should I be incorporating into work out going forward? Good news is near 20 lb wt loss to date. Reading some "core" routines and appears I need to work back and stomach muscles to prep for pack in and pack out. Suggestions?
Stairclimber is always my go to when I don't have mountains to train in.

Get cardio up and a short rest is all that is needed for a quick recovery. Hauled out bull over 2.5 to 3 miles in 3 trips about 17 miles total and took a series of short hauls followed by a short rest and it was not as bad as I had imagined.

Since I sucked wind so much last month hiking in Colorado, I started insanity max 30. I dread starting the workouts but once I’m done I feel great. I have to mop up a puddle of sweat off the floor when I’m done.

I live close to a county lake recreation area. I'll run/walk the 6 mile loop around the lake 3-4 times per week. There is a decent (for Nebraska) hill at the area that his 50 in elevation change. I'll hike up it 15-20 times with a weighted vest twice a week. I used to do a class called Bodypump at our local YMCA in lei of some of the running. Great workout for hunting, however, that isn't available with the Covid deal.

Since Covid came around, I’m working from home a lot more. I usually do a 3 mile hike in our local preserve with my daughter in her backpack carrier and 2 of the dogs (here’s a phot from this morning). We also got a Peloton bike in March before everything hit, and I do 30-45 minutes a day on that thing.

Attachments

• 08523151-1F98-4DE8-ABA4-CCCD9F9825E8.jpeg
    08523151-1F98-4DE8-ABA4-CCCD9F9825E8.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 1
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back