Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wolves attack dog near Duluth

Even if you don’t get thrown in jail you will lose a boatload of $ fighting the lawsuits from shooting a wolf off of your dog.

There was a guy in Washington state that killed a grizzly a while back in self defense. The court found out that it was a legal defense kill and he did not receive a punishment. BUT he lost his house and many assets just due to the legal fees fighting it. So even though he didn’t go to jail, he still lost big time.
Can you post a link a story on this? I hadn't heard about it.

Easy peasy... "I felt threatened by the wolves as I was protecting my dog from their attack". Duh!

News worthy because it happened so close to town and it doesn't seem the guy's dog was ranging out all that far. Mostly it is coonhounds getting targeted by wolves. The risk you take living in this area. I let my labs run all over and the risk of them getting targeted by a wolf hardly registers. I'm far more worried about something like blasto. Interesting story though, as I live pretty close to Duluth

I know of 5 dogs that have been killed by wolves in northeast MN in the past few years, I’m sure there’s been several others. Wolves do not like domestic dogs. I don’t think many people understand the wolf densities in northern MN. We have more wolves than Idaho, Mountain, and Wyoming COMBINED. I don’t mind sharing the woods and deer with wolves but I wish we could manage their numbers a bit. I see them frequently, they are not as shy as reported and even curious at times. Last fall a bear hunter had wolves start to eat a bear shortly after he shot it. Of course we don’t have grizzly bears to contend with and mountain lion sitings are rare.

Last edited:
Wolves attacking dogs is common place in NW Ontario. Some years ago walking dog across lake close to a small town had two wolves follow my wife and two labs and get within 50 yds. One of our labs was even making an approach as one of the wolves lay down in a submissive posture. My wife was in a bit of a panic and managed to call off our lab and get on home. Ontario's predator management is probably the worst in North America. Our Ministry of Natural resources had managed to destroy the ungulate populations in the NW with it's policies. This is not the cause of the rank and file MNR employee but because of politics and tree huggers high up in food chain.

This question may be a bit off topic but I can't but wonder if an aggressive wolf is ever killed by a domestic dog ? I'm hoping so.

I am sure the answer to this is varied depending on the dog, the circumstances, what the dog was breed to do. Speaking only for myself, yes it happens, but not very often, as one can not afford the vet cost to repair the dog even if the wolf is dead. Dogs are feed and are not fighting from hunger. Dogs also fight differently, biting the head, as the wolf goes for the body. A dog has no chance against a pack of wolves, as they bring down caribou, muskoxen, moose, a dog is not that difficult for a pack of wolves. But yes a dog can and has killed a wolf. But wolves are not all the same and do not act the same. The Arctic wolf, is different than the Grey Wolf and they are both different than the smaller wolves in Mexico and Europe and some dogs are huge.

My dog is a good fighter. He might last 15 milliseconds if the wolf isn't too large... Maybe

I bet a Vick's "Bad News Kennels" dog could give a wolf a run for it's money...

Outside Vick breed, wolves are trained killers to survive. Our dogs will readily defend us if felt a present wolf aggression though they do it with a heart of gold that will stop beating shortly after.

When wolves aren’t killing animals way bigger than them they’re killing eachother so.... the average wolf would probably wash the even baddest dogs. They’re is a reason they put spike collars on herding dogs.

3 Stories. The first is when I was a little kid up Delta Junction Alaska, we had a particularity aggressive male Shepherd named "Bear". He would fight any other male dog just on principal. He got out one day and took a hike through the woods, he came back with his throat ripped out and died shortly after.

The second is just a video that is floating around the interwebs somewhere. It's a Russian POS, a pitbull and a wolf. The setting is an obvious backyard dog fighting ring. The dogfight starts and the pit does his normal bulldogging, coming in low and trying to grab the neck. The wolf at first is a little taken back, kinda like WTF. The wolf then realizes this is for real and without a millisecond hesitation bites the pit across the snout, up towards the eyes. The pit yelps, splayes out to what can only be described as some kind of paralysis and his a$$hole pops out.

The third story: I had hanging an eight point skull in my Georgia backyard for an eventual Euro mount for my brother. I had a 105 lb male Ridgeback at the time. I look out back one day and a coyote is dragging the skull away towards the woods. My dog instantly takes off a dead sprint for the yote. I start to get worried as the yote isn't noticing my big ass dog barreling down on him. Very last second, yote looks up and heads to the woods with my dog in chase. I do know yotes can lure dogs away so I got little more concerned. A few minutes pass by and low and behold the freaking coyote walks back out into the backyard. For a minute I thought maybe the yote had sprung a trap. But no, the dog comes running back out of the woods, and the yote and dog start PLAYING together. Apparently it was a female because she was displaying all the classic submissive behavior and my dog was loving the interaction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back