MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

wolf hunting tactics/techniques

mlbuck84

I'm going elk hunting next month in idaho with a wolf tag in my pocket. I've never hunted them before; . I'll be archery hunting elk but will have my sako 7mm with me. The area has heavy timber, clear cuts, rocky areas, open flat areas...

A few questions i have are:

Is there a certain time of the day that is best to find them?

Will predator calling work, to locate? with this technique will they come in similar to the way a coyote does?

Do they have a certain pattern or area they prefer?

Do they have pups right now? And if so are they 2 for 1 on a tag? :D

What are some things that have worked for you that you could pass on?

thanks

Last edited:
wolf hunting

This will be the third year that I have hunted wolves in Idaho, and you get two tags per year. You can't take your rifle with you bow hunting, but you can take a side arm. The best way we have found to call them is with a cow elk call. We have used all kinds of electronic calls (yes you can use electronic calls only for wolves) and they don't respond to them. In our area we have been letting what few elk that is left go, and hunting strictly for wolves.

Welcome to the site. Have you killed one yet? Pictures? Good luck filling both of your tags this year!

Gary's - I finished my elk hunt last week. Unfortunately stuck and lost one :mad:

I bought a wolf tag and was confident that I would see/hear wolves. But after talking to F&W in the area I hunted he was quick to point out that the wolves and cattle weren't mixing well and so they brought in a helicopter and shot the last male in our unit. A little dissapointing actually. But elk #'s were up, which is always good. Lots of young calves. Taking it all in and looking forward to hunting their again in in the coming years. Still sick from my lost bull, i hope he made it.

thanks for the reply and welcome to the site.

This will be the third year that I have hunted wolves in Idaho, and you get two tags per year. You can't take your rifle with you bow hunting, but you can take a side arm. The best way we have found to call them is with a cow elk call. We have used all kinds of electronic calls (yes you can use electronic calls only for wolves) and they don't respond to them. In our area we have been letting what few elk that is left go, and hunting strictly for wolves.

I believe you are interpreting the following:
During an archery-only season,
it is illegal for hunters to use any firearm or implement other
than a longbow, compound bow or recurve bow

That would mean to USE a rifle to harvest a animal in a archery only season, wolf hunting is open in Idaho and is a any weapon .I carry both.
if I am missing something ..please let me know!!!!

My experience in Idaho, that is since 1977, a lot depends on the unit, and the game warden you are dealing with, they really frown on the thought that you might use a firearm for a archery only animal.

Didn't get one the first year, and last year wounded one. I have a picture but for some reason it won't load,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back