Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

“With the Old Breed” by Eugene Sledge

JV842

WOW!!!! Is pretty much all I can say!!!! Read this book during off time while hunting in Montana. An old Marine Col suggested it to me. One of and if not the best book I’ve ever read

Also "Black Sand, Red Blood" by Chuck Tatum. I'm a bit of a WW2 history buff lol. All good Marine stories of the retaking of the Pacific

You should read, “Islands of the Damned” by RV Bergin, he was Eugene Sledge’s squad leader and tells the same story from a little different perspective. The series ’Pacific’ features him ‘Bergi’ along with Sledge and Snafu.

Last edited:
I’m listening to this audiobook now. After watching the pacific series, it’s interesting to hear all of the info that got cut out.

I’ve read hundreds of ww2 books With The Old Breed is the best. Written by a grunt his description of the sounds , sights and smell of combat is second to none. I tried reading Helmet For My Pillow and couldn’t make it thru half the book. Virtually no details about combat in Guadalcanal. Everyone had a nickname I don’t recall once seeing the names Vandegraft, Puller, etc…Leckie is obviously a skilled writer but
I felt like I was reading poetry.

Just finished watching “The Pacific” for the second or third time last night. Going to order “With the Old Breed” soon.

This is a fantastic book. I've read it multiple times and recommend it to friends whenever asked

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis is another great book along the same lines as those mentioned above. Written by a (real) journalist and gives a good observation of the Guadalcanal campaign.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back