Windy Wyoming

WyoDoug

Yall thinkin bout hunting Wyoming in tents and popups you might like the news story below. We had hurricane force winds last night. I knew there was a reason I picked campsites fairly sheltered and protected from the wind. This is a factor sometimes when you camp in the wilderness areas of Cheyenne, like camping on the leeward side of the mountains and in heavily forested areas protected from the wind.

I've got 2 buddies in Cheyenne. One had 80mph sustained winds last night. The other posted 1/2 dozen rollovers due to wind between Cheyenne and Douglas.

I've got 2 buddies in Cheyenne. One had 80mph sustained winds last night. The other posted 1/2 dozen rollovers due to wind between Cheyenne and Douglas.
80 MPH sustained winds and 100+ MPH gusts. Correct. We had a number of calls in the WHP for truck rollovers. They were busy. Imagine what this would do to your RV, tent, or popup. When I went elk hunting last year, I was a number of RVs in the middle median total destroyed from rolling over.

We are building a house outside Buffalo right now. They put the shingles on last week. They will be putting them on again. Wind did a number on one side.

Our house lost a storm door last night. Ripped it off the house

We have had more all night winds this winter than i can remember but atleast its not as strong up here compared to you Cheyenne guys. Still no snow...hell it rained for 5 minutes last week.

My FIL has lived in Cheyenne for 40+ years and one time I mentioned how windy it is there. He replied, "I don't know why people think it's so windy here. It's not any windier than anywhere else."

I have jokingly quoted him so many times since then - it's a cliche now in our household.

Heck we'd take some rain, irrigation will be sad this spring I fear.
This affected my antelope hunting early on until I figured out the terrain some more and got an idea where they were watering at. Found a better area to hunt speedgoats in the process.

i guess i am blessed to live in the bighorn basin. i've worked all over the state and am thankful we don't get the wind here that the rest of the state gets. but when it gets cold it stays cold.

i guess i am blessed to live in the bighorn basin. i've worked all over the state and am thankful we don't get the wind here that the rest of the state gets. but when it gets cold it stays cold.
I always wanted to hunt the Big Horns. It's just a challenge to me, but my age and rising health issues might leave that at just a dream.

I always wanted to hunt the Big Horns. It's just a challenge to me, but my age and rising health issues might leave that at just a dream.
i am just about the opposite! I've hunted them my entire life started with my grandfather before i can even remember. i have never really hunted anything but the Bighorns and the badlands up to them. it is amazing country you see something new every time you go out but im sure its the same anywhere you go.

I antelope hunted outside of Laramie a couple years ago. Some of the strongest winds I’ve ever hunted in
i used to work in the oil field around Baggs WY, the wind was so bad we had to rig up either before sun up or after sunset. that was the only time the wind didn't blow!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back