Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 50-100 years

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • More than 100 years

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • Never

Votes: 89 72.4%

• Total voters
I agree but at the same time why does a farmer rancher/have to explain anything to them. If they don't want to eat meat then don't. Not like the farmer is showing up where they work with a sign protesting "eat more meat" "veggies are murder".

This makes it sound like there should be blind support for ag industry. Just as unproductive as the people that want to ban meat and animal husbandry. I grew up on a small dairy farm that is now owned by my brother and know a lot of small beef farmers in his area. None make a living farming, they all have off farm jobs. Some have a local food impact but they are just a blip on overall food needs. I have worked labor jobs on farms and worked with a lot of large farms professionally as well. My in-laws farm in NW IA where almost every 1/4 section has hog confinement units, large cattle feedlots, huge dairy farms, layer hen facilities, etc. Highest numbers of livestock of any county in Iowa and most expensive farmland in the country. My BIL talks about the all the fish they used to catch in the local river 30 yrs ago and now there is hardly anything. Hard to see how it can be sustainable long term. The ag industry very much privatizes the profits while socializing the costs. As long as that is happening others should have input in how things are managed.

A good friend of mine worked at one of the largest farrowing facilities for one of the largest hog producers in the US. Some of the stories he has are ridiculous. I have been in layer hen barns that had 100k+ chickens and 4 million+ birds at one location. I still buy cheap pork, chicken and eggs to supplement my poor hunting skills. Its great that we can get a dozen eggs for close to a dollar but maybe we could work towards something better.

This makes it sound like there should be blind support for ag industry. Just as unproductive as the people that want to ban meat and animal husbandry. I grew up on a small dairy farm that is now owned by my brother and know a lot of small beef farmers in his area. None make a living farming, they all have off farm jobs. Some have a local food impact but they are just a blip on overall food needs. I have worked labor jobs on farms and worked with a lot of large farms professionally as well. My in-laws farm in NW IA where almost every 1/4 section has hog confinement units, large cattle feedlots, huge dairy farms, layer hen facilities, etc. Highest numbers of livestock of any county in Iowa and most expensive farmland in the country. My BIL talks about the all the fish they used to catch in the local river 30 yrs ago and now there is hardly anything. Hard to see how it can be sustainable long term. The ag industry very much privatizes the profits while socializing the costs. As long as that is happening others should have input in how things are managed.

A good friend of mine worked at one of the largest farrowing facilities for one of the largest hog producers in the US. Some of the stories he has are ridiculous. I have been in layer hen barns that had 100k+ chickens and 4 million+ birds at one location. I still buy cheap pork, chicken and eggs to supplement my poor hunting skills. Its great that we can get a dozen eggs for close to a dollar but maybe we could work towards something better.
What I'm saying is that people who have never spent a day on a farm Shouldn't be the ones trying to tell someone how to do it.

I agree but at the same time why does a farmer rancher/have to explain anything to them. If they don't want to eat meat then don't. Not like the farmer is showing up where they work with a sign protesting "eat more meat" "veggies are murder".
As humans have evolved with have become hyper specialized, I think honest conversations are a crucial part of society. The point of star in the sky or the doc I’m suggesting is not to convince anyone of anything, the point is a ton of people are completely unaware of how things outside of their small slice of life work, the controversies, etc. When you give the general public some context it’s much harder for the extremes to demonize any group.

What I'm saying is that people who have never spent a day on a farm Shouldn't be the ones trying to tell someone how to do it.

Some things need an outside perspective. Unfortunately it's the loudest most extreme voices, like the clowns in Oregon, that get attention. Just like every other topic that comes up these days.

As humans have evolved with have become hyper specialized, I think honest conversations are a crucial part of society. The point of star in the sky or the doc I’m suggesting is not to convince anyone of anything, the point is a ton of people are completely unaware of how things outside of their small slice of life work, the controversies, etc. When you give the general public some context it’s much harder for the extremes to demonize any group.
paraphrase; I think...

That’s just not how things work though in a democracy, and unless one is a true libertarian or just doesn’t vote/ have opinions they definitely weighing in on subjects where they don’t have any knowledge of the facts.

Some things need an outside perspective. Unfortunately it's the loudest most extreme voices, like the clowns in Oregon, that get attention. Just like every other topic that comes up these days.
Agreed commercial farming is where you have the problem. No one takes better care of there animals than the farmer. That's there livelihood. Keeping a steer for 5 years or taking a sow out of a farrowing crate isn't doing anything but making it harder on the guy in the middle, the little guy

I attended a "Domestic Terrorism" course last summer that examined groups such as "Animal Liberation Front" (ALF). These groups have a focused agenda and are semi-realistic in their goals and timeline. To be clear, they are very much the minority, but they aren't looking to accomplish their goals this decade. Rather it's about slowly shifting public sentiment and making animals for human consumption financially unviable. You'll see that they aren't trying to outlaw meat in say, Idaho, but instead start rather small and localized where they may make up a slightly larger portion of the population, i.e. San Francisco, and then grow their support from there.

All of that is to say that I could definitely see meat consumption being "illegal" in my lifetime, but not federally, or even state-wide. It may simply look like a City ordinance, or something along those lines. More than likely though, it will be financially unfeasible on a small (City/County/District) scale instead of outright illegal.

I attended a "Domestic Terrorism" course last summer that examined groups such as "Animal Liberation Front" (ALF). These groups have a focused agenda and are semi-realistic in their goals and timeline. To be clear, they are very much the minority, but they aren't looking to accomplish their goals this decade. Rather it's about slowly shifting public sentiment and making animals for human consumption financially unviable. You'll see that they aren't trying to outlaw meat in say, Idaho, but instead start rather small and localized where they may make up a slightly larger portion of the population, i.e. San Francisco, and then grow their support from there.

All of that is to say that I could definitely see meat consumption being "illegal" in my lifetime, but not federally, or even state-wide. It may simply look like a City ordinance, or something along those lines. More than likely though, it will be financially unfeasible on a small (City/County/District) scale instead of outright illegal.

Minorities can easily become the majority and in a time and age where social media is used to the lengths it is used at, it doesn't take much for a fringe idea to pick up. A few powerful individuals can push their very well built cases/ideas (which don't have to be true) on platforms like Netflix and all of a sudden everyone is hating on McDonald's, Japan's whaling industry, Kony 2021, etc. Don't get me wrong, some of those causes are good and righteous but the average adult doesn't do much research and follows influencers and the masses.

I don't think meat will become outlawed, I could be wrong, but I do believe it will become an extremely expensive commodity or you will be looked at like a manic for consuming it, let alone hunt it yourself. Probably not in my lifetime, but again, I could be wrong.

Agreed commercial farming is where you have the problem. No one takes better care of there animals than the farmer. That's there livelihood. Keeping a steer for 5 years or taking a sow out of a farrowing crate isn't doing anything but making it harder on the guy in the middle, the little guy
I highly encourage everyone to buy from a producer instead of the grocery store. It's cheaper for you and more profitable for the rancher, truly a win-win.

I keep telling people to look at where your beef can come from (e.g. rangelands) vs your salad (e.g. the salinas valley), tell me which has more wildlife.

This is where the beef we buy comes from:
1640880025318.png
This is costco bag salad:
1640879923634.png

I highly encourage everyone to buy from a producer instead of the grocery store. It's cheaper for you and more profitable for the rancher, truly a win-win.

I keep telling people to look at where your beef can come from (e.g. rangelands) vs your salad (e.g. the salinas valley), tell me which has more wildlife.

This is where the beef we buy comes from:
View attachment 207131
This is costco bag salad:
View attachment 207129
Been raising my own pretty much since I can remember. Selling to customers direct, where we are living now I'm not set up for any steers, just hogs. We buy from the neighbor.

Living in central California and working in the ag industry for many years I'd say eating farm raised meat isn't going anywhere any time soon but it's definitely going to get more and more expensive to produce. Imagine living in a rural area with a conservative mindset and lifestyle but surrounded by people in the large cities who think you're killing them?

I agree the large scale farms can be rough on the environment if done poorly but it's tough to balance size of an operation with a reasonable price to the consumer, especially lower income folks. It's easy to say just buy grass fed/organic etc. when someone can afford to pay double or more per pound for that meat. I know a lot of people talk about factory farming but I don't really know what that even means. Even the large farming outfits are still owned and ran by families that grew over the years. I believe we will move back to small scale farming over time and buying direct or closer to direct from the farmer which is better for the environment and the farmer. It will drive up costs for meat so most people will probably eat less meat but not eliminate it completely.

On the subject of veggie based meat substitutes....they campaigned pretty hard last year pushing it on commercials and through fast food restaurants and now you hardly see it advertised anymore. If you look at "beyond meats" stock performance in the last year it's an indication that the public isn't ready to give up meat just yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back