Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Will Black Bear Effect Elk and Deer?

NSDQ MT

Will the presence of black bears effect elk and/or mule deer?

There’s a “trailhead” near my house (on Public Land) with multiple unnamed/unmarked trails that dead-end throughout a 2 mile by 1 mile area. One of the trails we’ve strolled on multiple times has lots of fresh deer tracks and old elk droppings (I’m guessing it’s an area the elk move into later in the year, based on surrounding terrain). I went out to scout one drainage visible from the trail that looks very elk-y twice and have run into 4 different black bears. The first time I saw two different bears on opposite sides of the drainage at the same time (170 and 340 yards). The second time at noon I startled a female and cub at 20 yards that were bedding just off the trail. Thankfully mom followed the cub in the opposite direction (it was more than a little unnerving with mom on her back legs looking over the top of the thicket then disappearing when she went back down on 4 legs.)

I know the short answer is to get a bear tag, but will the black bear presence deter elk and/or mule deer.

I don’t think elk nor deer give 2 chits about black bears, outside of the short calving window in the spring. I’ve watched deer, elk and bears feed together in the same meadow.

Around here an avg black bear is 200 lbs, not worth the risk chasing 400-700 lb elk.

In the fall I have seen a bear feeding within a few yards of cow and calf elk. In contrast I find hooves in the stools of bears in the spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back