WI bear!!!

wisconsinteacher

My wife was able to draw her second bear tag after a 6 year wait here in WI. We ran 3 baits all summer and had some monster bears hitting in July/August but as the corn came ripe and the acorns started to fall those big bears disapeared. After 4 sits and seeing 9 bears (sow and 3 cubs and 5 legal bears), she was able to shoot this nice boar. She made a 18.5 yard shot with her crossbow and he made it 150 yards with a double lung hit. Live weight was 323. When he came in, all I said was that it was over 200 and a shooter. She was shocked when she walked up to it and saw how big he was.

Attachments

• gretchensbear.jpg
    gretchensbear.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
That is a good looking bear. Congrats on getting it done. I had never thought of using a crossbow for taking bear (not legal here sadly), but I can see why that would make sense.

Curious, how did you get it weighed?

Anything over 300lbs is no slouch of a bear. Great job!

My wife was able to draw her second bear tag after a 6 year wait here in WI. We ran 3 baits all summer and had some monster bears hitting in July/August but as the corn came ripe and the acorns started to fall those big bears disapeared. After 4 sits and seeing 9 bears (sow and 3 cubs and 5 legal bears), she was able to shoot this nice boar. She made a 18.5 yard shot with her crossbow and he made it 150 yards with a double lung hit. Live weight was 323. When he came in, all I said was that it was over 200 and a shooter. She was shocked when she walked up to it and saw how big he was.
Fantastic! Congratulations to your wife on a great bear. My wife now has three points for Wisconsin bear. Gonna be a few more years before she can draw that tag. Hoping to take a similar picture some day. Well done!

Nice! I believe the average bear shot in Wisconsin is less than 180lbs. Way to wait for a shooter (y)

Looks like waiting paid off, congrats !

We had to wait until day 4 and 5 of the season to hunt the stand but it was worth it. In the two nights we hunted it, we saw 3 bears.

I've learned to never hunt a questionable wind and to have 2 stands/blinds at each bait. It might be extra work setting them, but I think that it would be worth the extra work.

That is a good looking bear. Congrats on getting it done. I had never thought of using a crossbow for taking bear (not legal here sadly), but I can see why that would make sense.

Curious, how did you get it weighed?

It was a 100 yard drag to the field edge. From there my buddy has a scale in his shed that you can park under.

She was going to use her compound but she's struggling with some shoulder issues so the crossbow was the only other option she was willing to use.

It was a 100 yard drag to the field edge. From there my buddy has a scale in his shed that you can park under.

She was going to use her compound but she's struggling with some shoulder issues so the crossbow was the only other option she was willing to use.
Im not dragging a 323lb bear 10 yards, let alone 100. Bears are like balls of jelly, dead weight, hard to handle. To hell with that. Youre crazy.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back