Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Why the breed?

We had a Black Lab when I was just out of the service in Cal.
The neighbor across the street did also, the neighbors' dog would
come across the street and they would both lay on the porch out front, all day long. We would go to work, come home and the dogs were still there!
The mail lady brought them treats every day. :) 💥

Just put a deposit on a French Brittany. Versatile breed that is small in stature. I predominantly duck hunt but here in Florida bringing a dog to retrieve is hazardous. You're limited to only a couple days a year where its cold enough to be safe from reptiles. i do a lot of snipe hunting as well so having a Brittany will help a lot with that pursuit. Finally, upland hunting out west is on the radar and coming up fast. As for in the home they are just plane good family dogs.

I started in the 1980s with Vislas and English Setters.
I like labs because they are so versatile....I hunt solo 99.9% of the time.

Pheasants in creek bottoms, lab routinely swims across when scenting birds on the other side.
Late season pheasants, silently keep the lab at heel then release in dense hawthorn thicket at big bends in river.
Pheasants in a sea of cattails...let the dog hot track while I hustle to block.

Chuckars on a steep slope...let the lab run way out of gun range up slope and the birds will flush down over me.
Bring the lab to heel and sneak up on a rimrock chuckar roosting area.

Blue Grouse on steep avalanche chutes...let the lab run way out of gun range up slope and the birds will flush down over me.
Release the lab to run to hawthorn berries on south facing slope, while blue grouse will fly overhead to get to Doug-Fir on N-facing slope.

Huns in big country...let the lab run way out of gun range, whistle sit when he gets birdy.

Plus I enjoy training labs solo with a couple of bumpers and any field or pond (urban, suburban or wild) all summer long.

There is great satisfaction seeing a lab mark a heart shot bird that fell hundreds of yards away,
picking up a bird with a blind retrieve several hundred yards into a lake, etc.
Plus the companionship waiting in the duck blind.

My high school english teacher was the daughter of outdoor writer Joel Vance. I knew of his name but had never read any of his work until she borrowed me her personal copies of a couple of his books. He wrote passionately about brittany spaniels and at that point I knew I'd own one someday. I did, and I was not disappointed. I will own another soon.

Grew up with a golden retriever. When it came time to get a dog of my own I knew I wanted a dog with the temperament of a golden (or close to it), but I also wanted a dog that pointed birds instead of flushing them. Research and conversations led me to WPG. A year and a half in, I couldn't have asked for a better hunting partner and pet.

My first dog was an English pointer. We loved that dog and lost her a little earlier then we should've. The only thing my wife and I would've changed was that long whip of a tail and the smacking that would sometimes hurt lol. Especially the kids. So this time around we got a GSP and she's a really good dog. Good in the house and good with the kids. Good hunter with a jr hunter title. We're gonna try for senior this year. She's just under 1 1/2 years old. She's a very loving dog too that always has to be on ya because beside you apparently isn't close enough lol. She's a good fit. Ig I was going to try a different breed I would give the English setter a try. Ive never had a longhaired dog and they seem pretty mellow.

Lots of great options out there, but we are locked into English-style Labs. Typically great noses, frequently have a natural point, strong hunting drive, great retrievers, wonderful family dogs, way calmer than traditional American labs, super versatile - pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese, sheds etc, and cold weather/water tolerant. Only two downsides - a lot of shedding and they can run hot in warmer climates.

There's a number of breeds I could live with just fine and some I wouldn't own if you paid me. Absolutely love GSP's but these days have Red Setter's. Was asked to judge a Red Setter walking shooting dog stake in Washington years ago and saw a performance by my Stormy's Mom that was the best I've ever seen, ordered a pup and the end of the trial. Year and a half later got my Stormy and dang if he simply wasn't interested in birds. Well, till he turned 11 months and then the light came on! Unbelievable. I have three of them now. I bought Sis and Snicker is out of sis and Stormy, both turned on fairly young. But the thing I really like is they're more like the GSP than any other breed. Easy to work with and hunting they pretty much stay with you, never had near this luck with E. Setter's. One's I had were really soft and self-hunters. I have tracking collars for no other reason than those E. Setter's I had. had one get out 2 1/2 mi on me before I got him back. Loveable dog's but you have to be really careful what you get. Mine were out of some of the best breeding in the country so I'm told. wouldn't have another. Friendly and great pet's but I was looking for foot hunting dogs, the Red Setter are it but If I couldn't get another, I'd get a GSP in a heart-beat. Brittanys also a good way to go.

I got a GSP as I wanted to get into upland. A year later, waterfowl peaked my interest so I got a versatile breed (Drahthaar). When in doubt, get both.

I have always owned labs. They are like a 30-06. They can do everything but aren’t fancy enough for some people. Somebody suggested a golden, make sure it is a field golden breeding. I always get a AFC/FC stud and a MH QAA female and your odds go way up to have a great gun dog. And if anybody says field trail lines are too hyper they are full of crap. Look for all health clearances, and most good lab litters are sold out before they are born, so plan ahead. Good luck.

Last edited:
Cuz that’s what I got for Christmas from mom. I’ve always had a thing for chocolate females.

She’s now three and goes with me pretty much every where.

Every lab I’ve had has been a great pheasant dog when I do go.

Add in she’s as mellow as they come.
1D7CE2F8-82D6-476C-AC7F-9578BE9D71AE.jpeg2C60BBC8-B324-40D7-AFD0-3A69BE98168B.jpeg

GSP.....well, because my wife's cousin breeds them and he offered me a pup at half price. I was going to get a Brittany until that offer came up and I simply couldn't refuse. She's a great dog.

Started with labs because that’s what most guys used where I was growing up. We also did a lot of waterfowl hunting as well as pheasants. When I was in college I hunted with a buddy who had a GSP, it was a blast. I really liked the pointing aspect. I eventually landed on GWP’s. Love the breed, hard working, great stamina, excellent drive, great all around versatile dog.

I grew up with Springers and will always have one—despite what my wife says. We have also had a bunch of labs over the years and they are truly great all around dogs. My labs are like an F150—they will get it done. Plus they stay with you all day (sometimes behind you when they are exhausted) and then fall asleep on the couch next to you at night. Yes-life’s too short—I let them on the couch with me. My Springer is like a 14 year old in a Ferrari trying to see how fast it can go in reverse. She lives life in a race. It is amazing to watch her work and you sure as heck don’t want to be a rooster pheasant trying to hide from her. She isn’t very bright though and I have to keep an eye on her well being so she doesn’t fly off cliffs or stay out working when she has icicles on her and near hypothermia. She will kill herself for birds. My Labs though are far better at dealing with new situations, strangers, and being able to turn it off when we are not hunting.

Believe it or not my King Charles makes an excellent small game dog. Sounds strange I know, but never had a dog so eager, she does pretty well at retrieving squirrels and rabbits. When I take her out for squirrels, she'll sniff around and if she finds one hiding in a tree, she'll just sit and stare up at it. She'll start rabbits too, she's slow and methodical, pacing herself, unlike a beagle, who picks up steam on a hot trail. She has no formal training, we just figured it out as we went.

I started with Vislas and Setters.

I love to shoot off a point, but 2 things I did not like:
1) Having to not shoot if a bird was bumped.
2) Hunting solo and having the dog go on point in a sea of cattails or dense riparian brush.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back