Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Why is the edge of my scope viewfinder jagged?

DouglasR

So I shouldered my rifle this morning and realized the lower left corner of the viewfinder in my scope has a jagged edge instead of just a smooth circle and I was wondering if anyone knows why it’s like that?
I tried wiping the edge of the lenses with a brush and soft microfiber and it didn’t do anything.

Any ideas? DCC022E6-53FA-447D-88F5-6FDBEA2A8D30.jpeg

I'm no expert one bit, but that almost looks like chipped glass doesn't it?
After hours of examination from numerous angles with various flashlight...
I’m still not sure.

I did knock it over on the bench today while cleaning the rifle it’s mounted on.
no good deed goes unpunished I suppose.
In hindsight, I wish I would’ve done a better job of securing it in my gallon oil jugs gun vice. 🤦‍♂️
But it literally just rolled over onto its side on a wooden bench so idk 🤷‍♂️
It’s a Leupold vx3hd.
they said just to send it in after hunting season and they’d take a look at it.

Now I’m chomping at the bit to get to the range to make sure nothing’s way out of whack.

this is a major first world problem.
I can’t even.

After hours of examination from numerous angles with various flashlight...
I’m still not sure.

I did knock it over on the bench today while cleaning the rifle it’s mounted on.
no good deed goes unpunished I suppose.
In hindsight, I wish I would’ve done a better job of securing it in my gallon oil jugs gun vice. 🤦‍♂️
But it literally just rolled over onto its side on a wooden bench so idk 🤷‍♂️
It’s a Leupold vx3hd.
they said just to send it in after hunting season and they’d take a look at it.

Now I’m chomping at the bit to get to the range to make sure nothing’s way out of whack.

this is a major first world problem.
I can’t even.
If it still holds true zero. Put it out of your mind until hunting season is over. Then let the warranty do what is made to do.

At the end of the day they will stand behind the scope, and you'll soon find that out.

The old man had a gold ring from the late 80's maybe early 90's, started fogging inside, they fixed it right up no questions or issues. Take peace in that

I think it is almost certainly chipped along the edge like the race the glass fits in was a little tight in that one particular spot and perhaps the strike from falling over caused it to chip. Thats probably almost all you can see when you look through it but my guess is it will hold zero even if it is slightly off when you take it to the range. Hunt it and then warranty it.

Might be safe enough to hunt the season with, unless the chipped edge causes failure of the seal, and the scope fogs up.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back