Caribou Gear

Why I prefer GaiaGPS over ONX

For years I built my own maps in GIS software and used them in Avenza. A couple years ago I went to the Dark Side ( OnX ) out of ease of use. It's a good product in its functionality but Jesus the symbology sucks. I mean really, the roads and stuff, the way the ownership and BMA polys and their fills don't fade out with zoomed in scale dependency. I am often struggling to discern what I am looking at. I don't find it intuitive.

I'll be looking into Gaia. I'm always looking for an excuse to abandon OnX.
Do it and don't look back. I got Gaia in 2012 and never left. I also used to make my own maps in geoPDF and run Avenza, as most of this data is totally free and back in those days none of the smartphone apps had the kind of data you could download from agency GIS data portals. But now, for $40/yr I'll just pay for it all and then also get the private land layers.

Bringing this back up. Looking at switching from OnX to something else.

I initially thought about GoHunt, for obvious reasons, but the cost and benefits didn't seem to pencil. Then I remembered this thread. Any updates? People still loving Gaia? They fix the download maps issue? They claim to update ownership pretty frequently which I like when using for work.
Gaia is a great app. I have never had any issues downloading maps for offline use, and do it all the time.

Prior to their buyout by Outside, I emailed them and they added the new (at the time) timber company lands in Idaho to the hunting layers on pretty short notice.

i've been curious about he HQ post too. maybe there should be a different thread.

but, to me, it would be one thing if eric bought land and then cut access that used to be accessible and entirely another thing if he bought land containing public that has always been inaccessible.

if he cared and was true to his mission he would buy the land and make it accessible, if the latter, but the level of outrage for me still differs wildly between the two possibilities.

money is a hell of a drug tho

This is what he said about OnX's project landlocked. HQ also posted this on their insta.
Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 1.28.19 PM.png
Like I said it'll be pretty ironic if his land remains landlocked. Especially if you make these kinds of statements...

This is what he said about OnX's project landlocked. HQ also posted this on their insta.
View attachment 298025
Like I said it'll be pretty ironic if his land remains landlocked. Especially if you make these kinds of statements...
It's as ironic as those here who whine about "too many hunters/commercialization/ it's MY public land..."

More hunters than not are matt rinella types, and in an instant, if they could, would buy land right next to public and be their own brand.

Dude made his nut and carved out his piece. Some people went for it, some changed. Consider the company kept though..

View attachment 298025
I didn’t realize that he purchased the land. Thought he was outfitting someone else’s. I get it now.

Based on everything I am seeing he did not purchase the land unless it was that recent that local property records are not updated yet.
I’ve noticed some properties take two years to change on OnX. The Foia is property he purchased.

I’ve noticed some properties take two years to change on OnX. The Foia is property he purchased.

I was looking at local MT gis for the prop ownership, not sure how frequent updates are but more often than onx. The foia appears to be related to outfitting lease, not land ownership. Sounds like he has a lease with the landowners for outfitting. Original HQ post made it sound like he bought Cottonwood outfitters.

I am sure he has tons of money from onx. But still not the kind of money it takes to buy 10s of 1000s of acres. 10mm barely buys 6-7k acres in a lot of that country.

HQ better be careful these days. If it starts appearing that they’re gaslighting people in an attempt to further their cause it really will not be a good look.

Matt gets so belligerent about this topic sometimes it wouldn’t surprise me honestly

Ownership records getting updated is really dependent on county DOR offices. Some update multiple times a month, some update every few months. That data is consolidated at the statewide level, and that is what OnX consumes.

It’ll often take a few months for any changes to proliferate through any application, consuming publicly available data

I'd be willing to bet that if every hunting CEO, celebrity, influencer had 100% transparency, there would be some crap that we would not be pleased about. I completely understand how he's rubbed people wrongly but Imma keep using whatever app I feel is the best for my needs. I doubt anyone high up in the outdoor world really gives a crap about anything above their own interests, which they are completely entitled to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back