Why I have to hold my nose when I vote Republican

tmsander

Invariably, many on this board will think this is good news, but I wonder....

Hefley furious at choice for panel
New lands chief pro-development
By Mike Soraghan
Denver Post Washington Bureau

Friday, January 10, 2003 - WASHINGTON - House Republican leaders chose Rep. Richard Pombo, a California rancher and committed foe of the Endangered Species Act, to oversee public lands and environmental protection in the West as chairman of the House Resources Committee.

Pombo leapt ahead of more senior contenders in part because of his ability to raise money, said an infuriated Rep. Joel Hefley, R-Colorado Springs. Hefley, chairman of the House ethics committee, said Pombo's selection gives the appearance that powerful posts can be bought.

"Fundraising evidently was an enormous part of it," Hefley said. "It's unseemly. It's like buying seats, and we shouldn't do that."

Pombo's supporters said he was a solid Republican fundraiser before rising to the powerful committee post.

Hefley said that nine-term Rep. John Duncan, R-Tenn., should have gotten the job, or that if House leaders wanted a senior Westerner, they should have picked him.

A spokesman for Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, played down the role of fundraising in the selection, saying "that was not the determining factor."

The selection of Pombo, a champion of property rights and Wise Use groups, was hailed by industry leaders, off-road vehicle enthusiasts and property-rights activists. Wise Use groups advocate development rather than preservation of federal lands.

But Pombo said he plans to "reach across party lines" to work with Democrats.

"As chairman, it's now my responsibility to bring everybody together and get them to work together," Pombo said. "I'm sure the other members will be willing to get to work and get the things done their constituents elected them to do."

Environmentalists weren't buying that line. They didn't expect an ally to head the committee but said they're now facing a particularly able adversary. And, they said, his selection belies Republican efforts to cast themselves as moderates on environmental issues.

"He doesn't believe there is another side," said Scott Stoermer, spokesman for the League of Conservation Voters. "I don't believe he takes his positions based on political calculations. He firmly believes they're the right position."

The Resources Committee oversees hundreds of millions of acres of public lands in the West. It also oversees the Interior Department, Forest Service and environmental laws like the Endangered Species Act.

Pombo is a rancher from California's Central Valley who always wears a trademark white Stetson hat in congressional photos. Although he's known as a hard-line conservative, he's also considered a soft-spoken, courteous man who has developed personal friendships with liberal lawmakers such as Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., who have fought him on policy issues.

Pombo has a low lifetime rating of 8 out of 100 from the League of Conservation Voters, while the League of Private Property Voters has named him a "champion."

While in Congress, Pombo has traveled across the country holding hearings on what he considers the excesses of the Endangered Species Act and even advocated for continued hunting of elephants in Africa for their ivory tusks.

His selection by a 28-member Republican steering committee ends a bitter intraparty feud between seven lawmakers. Duncan, who once compared an environmental campaign to Nazi propaganda, was considered a more moderate consensus candidate.

Pombo had the sixth-lowest seniority among the seven candidates. In addition to showing his fundraising prowess, Pombo campaigned for nearly a year, starting right after then-committee Chairman James Hansen, R-Utah, announced his retirement. And Pombo tapped into a grassroots network of conservative activists he has built since his 1992 election.

He also had the support of DeLay's "political machine," Hefley said. Nicknamed "The Hammer," DeLay isn't shy about linking votes to campaign contributions.

Hefley, dean of the Colorado House delegation, campaigned to block Pombo and preserve the seniority system. Although one of Pombo's first moves was to meet with committee staff and reassure them, Hefley believes passing over so many senior members will cause resentment.

"DeLay buys himself some ill will," Hefley said. "Pombo buys himself some ill will."

Democrats were all but silent on Pombo's selection, saying that for now they will take his pledge of bipartisanship at face value.

Pombo said he plans to focus on overhauling the Endangered Species Act, which he believes infringes on people's right to use their property as they wish, and on re-drafting a comprehensive energy bill, a top priority of President Bush. Allies said he could also take a look at the Antiquities Act, the 1906 law that allowed former President Clinton to declare millions of acres in the West as national monuments.

"There will be a commitment to address some of the abuse suffered by federal land users and people who have suffered under the Endangered Species Act," said Myron Ebell, who tracks environmental issues for the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute.

Pombo could also play a key behind-the-scenes role in the struggle between California and other Western states over allocation of Colorado River water.

Although he's a pro-development conservative, Pombo tends to focus more on the small-business owner, rancher or property owner rather than large oil companies or timber companies, said Mike Hardiman, a property-rights lobbyist who used to work for Pombo.

"The little guy is going to have a seat at the table now," Hardiman said. "It's going to be more than big green and big business."

"The selection of Pombo, a champion of property rights and Wise Use groups, was hailed by industry leaders, off-road vehicle enthusiasts and property-rights activists. Wise Use groups advocate development rather than preservation of federal lands."

I wouldnt call this statment true!!!
I guess we would need to find out just what this guy's idea of PRESERVATION OF FEDREAL LANDS)is.
There is a big difference between leaving access open for people to use our fedreal lands,and development of them.
Most of the org. I know of that support (mulitple use)arent out to develope federal lands ,only to make sure we all get to use them in a manner that fit's the land.

I didnt see much that was bad about it.

But I feel your pain in having to hold your nose while voting Rep.-----I do much the same when voting for a dem. only it gets worse I usually get the feeling im going to lose my lunch.
wink.gif
wink.gif

My real feeling is --lets hope he can be fair to both side's.
We have nut's on both side's that have no respect for people ,the land,or wildlife.

I hold my nose for ALL politicians. They all serve the campaign contributers first. Then they see how they can spin it to look like they are doing it for the common good.

Guess the ranchers will be happy with that fella. But it looks like that they snubbed some of their own party.Hefley said that it looks like they are buying seats. DUH...what do the campaign contributers think they are doin. Buying a man or woman to do what they want, Geez...politicans sound like idiots most of the time.
Sorry but I dont trust a single politician.

Now isn't this an interesting article.....
Pombo's selection gives the appearance that powerful posts can be bought. What part of the word POLITICS don't they understand...
A spokesman for Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, played down the role of fundraising in the selection, saying "that was not the determining factor." This boy has been talking to the cows too long. He would have scentient, thinking people believe that a candidates ability to raise moneys isn't part of the climb to power?

Pombo tends to focus more on the small-business owner, rancher or property owner rather than large oil companies or timber companies,
Why doesn't that make sense with the earlier part of the article? You aren't going to make big time bucks from little guys... you make them from General Bull Mosse.... The only place to get big bucks if from deep pockets.... that's big oil and big timber....

I don't mean to sound negative about this load of crap, but if it looks like crap and it smells like crap and it feels like crap, then you can bet it's not Irish Lace....

cool.gif

I hold my nose for all politicians, but would have to admit that we Americans get what we deserve. Look at Montana and our fine Senators Max and Conrad. Both have whored themselves to special interest for so long they both can pass Campbells soup cans without touching either side. And we keep electing them back to Washington.

Paul

Back