Whole goose recipe?

Firedude

Anybody ever have good luck cooking a whole wild goose? When I was a kid my friends grandma cooked some he shot whole and it was delicious. Depression Era kids always knew how to do stuff like that. Sadly I have no clue how she did it. I know one came out of the crock pot and the other was oven roasted. Which makes no sense to me but thats how they were done. Beyond that I have no clue. I hung one for a few days and plucked it. Now it's in the fridge aging.

Anybody have good luck with cooking a goose whole?

20230114_131019.jpg

Looks like it has potential. This one came off of farm ground and has been eating grains. Very fatty.

Last edited:
Cross cut the skin and cook hot like 400F. Pull when breast is about 125. That’s just how I do it anyways

Tried this yesterday. It turned out pretty good. I would do it again honestly. I tried slow roasting one as well. Brined overnight and roasted at 190 for 4.5 hours. Unbelievably good tasting. Still tough though. I think if I age it a little longer and then leave it for like 7 hours it will be fall apart tender.

Salt brine is crucial IME for a tender juicy goose, no matter how you cook it. Have to be careful not to over salt it though.

Back