Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whole goose recipe?

Firedude

Anybody ever have good luck cooking a whole wild goose? When I was a kid my friends grandma cooked some he shot whole and it was delicious. Depression Era kids always knew how to do stuff like that. Sadly I have no clue how she did it. I know one came out of the crock pot and the other was oven roasted. Which makes no sense to me but thats how they were done. Beyond that I have no clue. I hung one for a few days and plucked it. Now it's in the fridge aging.

Anybody have good luck with cooking a goose whole?

20230114_131019.jpg

Looks like it has potential. This one came off of farm ground and has been eating grains. Very fatty.

Last edited:
Cross cut the skin and cook hot like 400F. Pull when breast is about 125. That’s just how I do it anyways

Tried this yesterday. It turned out pretty good. I would do it again honestly. I tried slow roasting one as well. Brined overnight and roasted at 190 for 4.5 hours. Unbelievably good tasting. Still tough though. I think if I age it a little longer and then leave it for like 7 hours it will be fall apart tender.

Salt brine is crucial IME for a tender juicy goose, no matter how you cook it. Have to be careful not to over salt it though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back