Who knows tuna fishing?

fallfreak

I have done some offshore fishing. Mainly red snapper but really want to try tuna. I hear Venice, LA is a great place for that and I've done some searches on charters out of there on the internet. It would just be myself and possibly my 13 yr old son fishing so looking for a shared expense type trip like I have done for snapper. Is there such a thing ? Any recommendations on charters or other areas for this type of trip? I'm a days drive from the gulf coast. Thanks

I go out every year on the Oregon coast so not your neck of the woods. Fun fishing and it's hard to beat fresh tuna. Around here you can do a shared charter or take the whole boat for the day. Good luck.

Look into the outer banks of NC. Hatteras, Oregon Inlet.
The Oregon inlet Fishing Center does a make up charter of 6 people per boat. Full day offshore trips. In the $200 per man per day neighborhood plus tip and fish cleaning fees. Some of the best offshore fishing on North America.

I don’t know much about the gulf coast fishery.

Look into the outer banks of NC. Hatteras, Oregon Inlet.
The Oregon inlet Fishing Center does a make up charter of 6 people per boat. Full day offshore trips. In the $200 per man per day neighborhood plus tip and fish cleaning fees. Some of the best offshore fishing on North America.

I don’t know much about the gulf coast fishery.
I'll check into that Knight 54. That is a very economical fishing trip I was expecting to pay more so that's a great surprise Thanks!

Venice is pretty good for tuna, size is dependent on when you go.

It's a long run out of Venice to the rigs and tuna. It's not cheap either.

Mexican gulf fishing company is one of the better operations down there.

If you ok catching smaller blackfin tuna go to Islamorada in the fl keys. Plenty of other stuff to catch also, way shorter run and a bit cheaper with alot more to see and do around the area.

Venice is just fishing, Nothing else out there. A couple crappy places to eat and a dollar store are the highlights.

After these responses maybe Venice LA is not the best place for tuna. I live near Nashville, TN and hoped to find something within a days drive. Would the east coast be better than the gulf for tuna?

I've fished out of there a few times with good results. The last trip was on the Skilligal and we caught several yellowfin, a blackfin, and a wahoo. Need to go back to re-stock the freezer... If you look at a map Oregon Inlet and the outer banks of NC are about the closest spot to the Gulf Stream on the east coast, outside of Florida.

I’m just gonna leave this here.
From Nashville the outer banks of NC is close enough that you can do the drive in a long day.
Closest ride to the tuna fishing grounds on the east coast(out of Oregon Inlet it’s 37 miles most days)
Consistently some of the best fishing.
I would highly recommend Mid May through mid July... and then again in October.
I do this for a living.
Panama sounds great..and it has incredible fishing...it’s hard to bring your tuna home from Panama.
These pictures are from yesterday.4AFE9094-2E67-4C85-9A55-70CF21888EEB.jpegA431B68A-5B17-4019-9060-F2EA96FF5ED9.jpeg

I've gone out from Cabo multiple times and caught loads of them along with MahiMahi and a13 ft, 500 lb blue Marlin. When you find them, they're a blast to haul in.
Released the Marlin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back