Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who chambers, 6.5x55 or 6.5-284 in a rifle

Tired of my .308win , and want to buy a new gun , who chambers those caliber?
I know savage has the apex in 6.5-284 , 6.5x55 has ghosted me so fare .
6.5cm are everywhere
Both are cool cartridges and I don't want to derail this thread but I gotta ask, why not the creedmoor over the swed? Ballistically they are about the same and the creedmoor has so many options now for ammo. Just curious.

We have .260 and 6.5x55, but with ammo being what it is, would definitely get a CM. You're worried about what some old guy thinks about you as opposed to having ammo to shoot?

. You're worried about what some old guy thinks about you
Well being a young woman I dont care what anyone else uses or thinks about what I use, but I also like the Swede ;)

Tired of my .308win , and want to buy a new gun , who chambers those caliber?
I know savage has the apex in 6.5-284 , 6.5x55 has ghosted me so fare .
6.5cm are everywhere

Look at the Mauser M12's they have 5, Swede caliber models, to choose from -

Both are cool cartridges and I don't want to derail this thread but I gotta ask, why not the creedmoor over the swed? Ballistically they are about the same and the creedmoor has so many options now for ammo. Just curious.
The CM didn’t float the boat for me (+ good BC - bad velocity) , 6.5x55 , 6.5-284, 6.5 PCR , I can find both. High BC and velocities for hunting

A bullet has the same b.c. regardless of what you shoot it out of.

Well being a young woman I dont care what anyone else uses or thinks about what I use, but I also like the Swede ;)

Look at the Mauser M12's they have 5, Swede caliber models, to choose from -
Didn't say I don't love the Swede; I do. .260 as well. But, walking down the aisles at lots of stores the last 2 years, 6.5 CM ammo >>>>>Swede. But that's in MT, I think you're in Canada, so prob way different.

Didn't say I don't love the Swede; I do. .260 as well. But, walking down the aisles at lots of stores the last 2 years, 6.5 CM ammo >>>>>Swede. But that's in MT, I think you're in Canada, so prob way different.
my attempt at humor failed I am afraid

As far as available ammo, you are correct, even here in Alaska. Same when I am in Texas. You are correct.

my attempt at humor failed I am afraid

As far as available ammo, you are correct, even here in Alaska. Same when I am in Texas. You are correct.
Lack of ammunition is what lead to the purchase of the .308win 😕😕😕
2020-2021 the shelf’s were bare and then only in very limited boxes in mostly subpar loading, finally found 3 boxes of Norma oryx to hunt with

Last edited:
I shoot an old Swedish 6.5x55 Mauser. It’s a beauty. Can be picky with ammunition though, and you don’t have a whole lot of options from the common ammunition producers especially these days. It gets the job done real well though.

The CM didn’t float the boat for me (+ good BC - bad velocity) , 6.5x55 , 6.5-284, 6.5 PCR , I can find both. High BC and velocities for hunting
If you want higher velocity than the creed take a hard look at the 6.5 prc. Its gaining popularity.

Lack of ammunition is what lead to the purchase of the .308win 😕😕😕
2020-2021 the shelf’s were bare and then only in very limited boxes in mostly subpar loading, finally found 3 boxes of Norma oryx to hunt with
I see more 308 ammo now than almost any other hunting round. I'd be hesitant to get rid of that to get another rifle in a different caliber at this time. If you can swing it I'd keep the 308 and just buy another rifle.

My 6.5x55 is a Min Mod 70 Featherweight. Love the Sweed but it does require a long action. Was no 260 or 6.5 CM when I got it or I'd have probably got one of them. Like the shorter actions. In modern actions the Sweed is a bit faster than the other two but really splitting hairs there. I would not sell my Sweed to get either of the other two. Got a Parker-Hale 1200 in 25-06 and had it rebarreled to a 6.5x55 for the ex. Extractor had to be opened up a bit and put a Shilen barrel on it. As I recall I had about $800 into it including the Parker-Hale rifle. It did a great job and velocity was just under my 6.5x06 with 140gr bullet's! Ex took it with her when she left!

My swede started life as a Husqvarna M38 1896 Mauser. It taught three boys hunt deer hunt. It was in a free Monte Carlo sporter stock I picked up somewhere. I hand filed the barrel to a straight taper. I painted it orange camo. I had it drilled and tapped for a scope but that smith did a poor job of it. Even with the long striker travel it shot 1 MOA.

When my granddaughter came to hunting age, I sent it in for a face lift. I had the smith dead soft anneal it and re-heat treat it. He flat topped the action with Talley style integral mounts. It got a new 26" Krieger 1-7.5 twist barrel (optimized for 156 Norma , 160 Hornady RN, and Hammer monoliths.), and Sunnyhill bottom metal. Finally an M70 style @#)(#-on-open bolt upgrade with 3-position safety.

Sadly - to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, little girls grow faster than custom rifles. It is still at the smith and she has moved away to live with her father. When it is finished I plan to take her and the rifle to SE Alaska for a deer hunt.

Last edited:
Back