Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

whitetail ethics question

To the ones who defend baiting, if it were legal, what's your stance if baiting turkeys were legal? Would you consider it just as ethical and challenging as not baiting?
Just a hypothetical question?

I feel pretty sure that in places that have a fall turkey season, and baiting deer is legal that turkey get shot over bait. Also, I see no connection between challenge and ethics, they are 2 separate things. So as challenging? Probably not. As ethical? Depends on the person's own ethics...if it's legal.

To the ones who defend baiting, if it were legal, what's your stance if baiting turkeys were legal? Would you consider it just as ethical and challenging as not baiting?
I’m not pro baiting but it’s apple and typewriters.. Turkeys aren’t nocturnal and they can’t smell.

Why would it be different with turkeys? A food source is a food source. There ain't a lick of difference.

Hunting on a farm is baiting. Its just on such a large scale, it ceases to be seen as what it is. Most of the CWD country also happens to be in farm country. People shoot a big buck off the corner of a corn field, thump their chest and claim to be the greatest hunter of all time.

...hunt over the apples and don't feel bad about it.

In terms of legal hunting, I think it boils down to who cares, and I mean that with all sincerity. I know that I've never fished successfully without bait. The fish don't care. I hunt over food plots, near persimmon trees and acorn trees. I also hunt transition areas. The deer don't care. I don't think it matters to the deer whether you kill it over bait, on the run or standing in a DQ parking lot. I think it comes down to how the hunter feels and how the hunter perceives he or she will be judged by others. There are decisions that I make while hunting that may mean something to me, but nothing to someone else. What matters to me is how I'll feel about a hunt when I look back on it and how my family will view the same.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back