Which Vortex Razor HD -- Objective size vs Weight

Which Vortex Razor HD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheWanderer

Help me decide which spotting scope. Want to get a Vortex Razor HD. Will be my first spotting scope and want to pay for quality up front to avoid headaches down the road.

Looking at Vortex Razor HDs: 16-48x65 Angled (48 oz) vs 11-33x50 (25 oz) Angled

I did a backpack elk hunt in CO on an OTC tag this past year but hunted a thick area and didn't even take a spotting scope. Heading to CO this year with a group of friends and my dad for a rifle hunt on one of the lease a ranch for a week deals. The following year will be one of the following hunts: A. WY elk B. AK blacktail + WY antelope C. Newfoundland moose

Is the bigger spotter too much to carry/pack for a 5 day backpack hunt? Is the smaller spotter going to feel inadequate or have noticeably poorer low light performance. I plan to do more backpack hunts but I can't say it will most commonly used for this based on the planned hunts above.

Thanks for opinions.

11-33x50 is the spotter I wish I had bought in retrospect knowing that I hunt off my back mostly, but I also often don't take a spotting scope with me more than it goes along. I spend a lot of time with a spotting scope in the 15-20x range personally.

I went 11-33x50, not only is it the weight but actual size difference. The smaller one is still very good at what it does. If you are buying this to count rings on a rams horn at 2 miles before you know it is legal, I would look elsewhere. If you are looking for a good spotter to pack in 3-5 miles and sit on a ridge to see if that elk at 2000 yards is a shooter, then the 11-33 will work for you.

the bigger ones get bought, then used at camp/truck and left there. Factor in the weight of a tripod also, the heavier the spotter the heavier tripod you should get also.

I myself am looking at spotters and I'm leaning toward I would rather have too much than too little, so I would go for the 65.

I've used both, a lot.

The 11-33x is phenomenal, especially for spotting herds and if your not a trophy hunter. It's soooooo small, light and packable.

It's great for elk and is great for deciphering if a buck is a 4x4 or has a decent frame, but not guessing score. The best scope is the one that you have with you, you won't want to pack that 65mm as often on day hunts...

Might want to look at a few others if quality is your main concern. mtmuley

I would also consider going with the strait versions of both,,,easyer to aim and use as a beginner,,also fits in the pack better.both are a good choice depending on the needs of what particular terrain your in,its all a trade off.I have a angled vortex viper 65 mm id like to sell as ive never gotten used to aiming the angled scope.perfect condition,just always have used the strait versions all my life.any takers,p m me and we can see if we can make you a good deal.

I have the 11/33/50 angled and love it, I also have the vortex high country tripod ball head and love it also.

I'd go smaller since I like the 15x magnificent enough that I ditched the spotter and went the "big eyes" route with 15x56 binos. Sooooo much more enjoyable than my 15-45x65 although you do give up the upper end for horn/antler checking I suppose.

I almost purchased the 11-33X50, but decided to go with 15-45X65 straight and I have been very pleased. It is a little bigger and heavier but I think it's worth it for the extra viewing advantages. Gathers more light and picks up more detail. I would also consider the straight, for these factors:
-easier to locate the target
-easier to fit in the pack
-better & more comfortable for downhill viewing
-better and easier for truck window viewing

The angled is def better for uphill viewing & target practice.

Hope that helps, good luck

I almost purchased the 11-33X50, but decided to go with 15-45X65 straight and I have been very pleased. It is a little bigger and heavier but I think it's worth it for the extra viewing advantages. Gathers more light and picks up more detail. I would also consider the straight, for these factors:
-easier to locate the target
-easier to fit in the pack
-better & more comfortable for downhill viewing
-better and easier for truck window viewing

The angled is def better for uphill viewing & target practice.

Hope that helps, good luck

Good points here. Also, the 65 has an option to rotate the body clock or counterclockwise independent of your tripod. If you get the angle version, this is a really nice feature!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back