Caribou Gear

Which rifle should I sell?

I'd love a 280 but don't hunt much anymore. I couldn't sell that one. The 30-06 you bought for your dad, how you gonna let that go? Keep them both!

I hate selling guns… unless I hate the gun. I have plenty of overlap in my guns and no desire to sell any. So I say keep them both.

Might be easier to find 30-06 ammo… otherwise I think it’s just preference.

Never sell, only buy.

If you choose to not follow the path of the righteous rifleman, the 06 sounds like it sees the least amount of use and would be the prime candidate.

I have too many overlapping rifles…. That much is true. I really like them all, but am considering being a responsible adult and paring it down. I may need to decide on selling either my 280 Remington 700 mountain rifle or my 30/06 Remington 700 mountain rifle.

The 280 I bought used. It’s a 1980’s vintage in fantastic shape but needs a new buttpad installed which I already bought but have not attempted to install. This rifle has a real classic look and a polished, non knurled bolt handle that I like. Round count, however, is unknown. I’ve put less than a box through it but with the thin, age hardened butt pad, it kicked like hell.

The 30-06 was an early 2000’s that I had bought new for my dad. It has seen limited range use and only 1 hunt (a successful WY antelope). Seems to prefer 180 grain factory loads. Maybe 150 rounds through it. I inherited it back 5 years ago and have not used it since.

Both rifles probably fit the same purpose. Their hunts would likely be limited to deer and elk, I don’t ever intend to use either for dangerous game. 280 is a bit “cooler” but the 30/06 perhaps more versatile if I wish to develop widely varying loads.

Any thoughts on whats a better overall package in these caliber/model combos or am I just firmly in the flip a coin and get on with it territory?
Don't sell any rifles, once they are gone they are GONE.
The way things are going you may never buy a rifle again. :cry: 💥

Keep them both! I've sold a few that I thought were a good idea to let go only to wish I had them back. Now I rarely sell and then only if I don't like the gun. You could hunt the 280 and tinker with the 06. Necked up or down, there are some good options.

Too many rifles? I don't see that as a problem.;)
Some people would say I have too many screwdrivers and wrenches and sockets in both standard and metric. I'm sure many of them overlap as well but there is no way I will ever get rid of any of them because they all get used at one time or another.
Even if you don't use those files for another 10 years they aren't going to go stale. They'll be ready to go when you are ready to use them.
I say keep all your rifles.(y)

Instead of selling the 280
or 06 right now, I am going to sell my .308 Model Seven. About 200 rounds through it, hunted w/it only a couple times. I sold the original laminate stock and have it in a Model 673 stock (the two tone laminate) but would consider selling the complete barreled action first and stock second if someone preferred to buy just the metal and restock it to their liking. PM me if interested and we can discuss.

Both great calibers. The ‘06 has a connection to your Dad. That would be a consideration to me.

I have too many overlapping rifles…. That much is true. I really like them all, but am considering being a responsible adult and paring it down. I may need to decide on selling either my 280 Remington 700 mountain rifle or my 30/06 Remington 700 mountain rifle.

The 280 I bought used. It’s a 1980’s vintage in fantastic shape but needs a new buttpad installed which I already bought but have not attempted to install. This rifle has a real classic look and a polished, non knurled bolt handle that I like. Round count, however, is unknown. I’ve put less than a box through it but with the thin, age hardened butt pad, it kicked like hell.

The 30-06 was an early 2000’s that I had bought new for my dad. It has seen limited range use and only 1 hunt (a successful WY antelope). Seems to prefer 180 grain factory loads. Maybe 150 rounds through it. I inherited it back 5 years ago and have not used it since.

Both rifles probably fit the same purpose. Their hunts would likely be limited to deer and elk, I don’t ever intend to use either for dangerous game. 280 is a bit “cooler” but the 30/06 perhaps more versatile if I wish to develop widely varying loads.

Any thoughts on whats a better overall package in these caliber/model combos or am I just firmly in the flip a coin and get on with it territory?
Keep the .280 for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back