Where to find the billys?

Bambistew

So I'm going on a goat hunt this fall. I plan on doing some scouting this summer, but assume the goats will be in a diffrent local come september vs august/july... what kind of habits do goats have? Do they go to water each day? Do they stick to one specific patch of grass for a week at a time? When do the start looking for 'love'? I need all the help I can get. I've seen lots of goats, just haven't hunted them before or paid much attention to them.

Last edited:
Your going to be busy this year! With only goat hunting once i really didnt get alot of time to watch and see any patterns of the goats. Hunted around sep 18th is and I was amazed on how much they moved around and how much ground they covered. 1st day they were right behind camp, next day they were on the other side of the bowl miles away. They were still up within 750 or so from the top though they did get pushed down low during a storm but shot back up once it cleared up. I never really seen them hang out and feed in one area they were always on the move. Im headed out goat hunting again this year too so maybe this time ill have some more time to really watch them. Good Luck!

Alot of good places on the kenai penn. Its been a while since I went after goats but just find a drainage and investigate. We went up Peterson creek (near girdwood) adn my buddy shot a 9 1/4". it was a mother, weird part was the goat didnt move for 3 days, it stayed on the same ledge.

Another time we were sheep hunting near Ptarmigon lake (moose pass area) and after 3 days in tent, woke up and didnt see any sheep, but the goats moved in. Some real nice billies.

Be creative and explore, just find the nasties and go about 100feet higher it seems.

Billy's travel in 3's and they usually have a hard time crossing bridges. Damn trolls and all!

During my montana goat hunt a cfew times i found tracks heading off the ridges hitting the creek for water and then back up the ridge. Based on the tracks they did go straight down and then back up just to water. I dont think they had to do that very frequently.

Although funny, I wouldn't discount the use of whites to get closer if needed.

I guess you CO guys are more familiar with farm animal sounds than I am... what does a goat sound like?

I'm on the fence with 'whites'. Seems like for everyone that says get them there is a guy that says they'll screw you. I wear Realtree head to toe, so they won't see me anyway.

Speaking of sight... do goats see as well as sheep?

You should pick up 'a Beast the Color of Winter'. Lots of good info in there.

"The main difference between goats and patches of snow is that the goats move and go 'Baa'." - (Pat Mcmanus from The Short Happy Life of Francis Cucumber

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back