Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Where to Begin n What to Begin With?????

JV842

I live in San Antonio, have one hell of a side job where I get to fly for free (Delta) I am also blessed w a job that I have quite a bit of time off (firefighter/medic). I guess I’m starting to sound spoiled but I’m also lucky/blessed to have an aunt n uncle that live near Kenia. My uncle is a preacher/firefighter/ n salmon boat Cpt. He owns n runs his own salmon netting boat which he docks in Holmer.
I have hunted all my life (literally, shot my first buck at 5); Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Montana, n a bit in North Cacalacky when I was in the Corps. I love adventure n the experience as well as the game meat afterwards.
I have never been to Alaska!!! N I can feel her calling in my bones!!!
My uncle isn’t much of a big game hunter but is willing to go w and we can also use/stay on his boat for “extended excursions”
I hunt w either rifle or bow but prefer archery.
What would y’all suggest as a starter adventure? I eventually want to do a coastal brown w a bow, would love to go after moose, caribou, n of course sheep.
My mother really wants to go for black bear. I’ve gotten blacks but think it would e a hoot to see my mother get one; she gets excited over a whitetail doe.
Money is as always an issue. But I; n my family, have the airfare and family there in our favor. Also I get 95% off of cargo shipping on delta.
Any advice would be much appreciated and if any of y’all r ever in the San Antonio area hit me up n I could turn u on to some good hog hunting on my family n friend’s land

To hunt sheep, goats and brown bears you must be a resident, or be the 2nd degree kindred. Your uncle doesn't qualify.

The other animals do not have restrictions.

Spring black bears off a boat, or deer on kodiak off a boat would be a good place to start. Alaska is nearly always a miserably fun adventure. Any hunt based off a boat will likely be very wet and rainy.

Good luck!

I have looked into that n my uncle does have some friends that are registered guides who would go w if n when I go for one of the others, so would be good to go for the others.
I was thinking about doing the black bear w my mother n uncle which we could parlay into some fishing/crabbing/prawns.
My uncle usually gets a bear every year for food but he doesn’t really go “hard core” for a big one; which I appreciate and completely understand, he is after chow for him n my aunt.
Any advice on books or references as far as trophy quality near the Holmer area, that I can start my research on?
61ED9191-B5BD-453D-8FE8-FF3D9945CC91.jpg
His boat
Thnx for the advice, n luv ur accounts of ur sheep hunts, always great reading

Man, your uncle must be well connected to have guide freinds who will guide you. Go for the sheep first!

We’re firefighters, we all have side jobs, need something done or a hand w something, one of us can either do it or knows someone who can!!!

Better question your uncle's friends (the guides) before you go. Know that you'll be asking them to give up a significant part of their income to "accompany" you on a sheep, goat or bear hunt. You'll still have to sign a contract with the guide friend to hunt the guide restricted animals.
Your idea of a boat based black bear hunt is a good idea. It can be based out of Homer and there are LOTS of blackies to be found in that area. As Bambistew mentioned, a Kodiak deer hunt is also an excellent idea. Both could easily be done in the (roughly) same time frame also during a 2 week period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back