Where do you hang your game cams?

Huntin_GI

Game Cams?

Went out yesterday and put some miles down. Had 5 cams and after all the internet scouting I could do, marked quite a bit of country off my list. That being said, I struggled on where cams should go. Found several nice bedding areas, few old rubs, and one either dust bath or wallow? 🤷
Ended up putting one of the cams on the wallow but didn't feel like the bedding areas would concentrate the animals consistently enough to get a good idea of the use patterns.

During early/pre-season what do you like to focus your cameras on? The area is covered in water and holds quite a few large meadows above 10K.

Attachments

• 109971047_277113490243241_3717477951425357416_n.jpg
    109971047_277113490243241_3717477951425357416_n.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 12
Partially depends on what you are hoping to accomplish with the. Are you just trying to see what animals are in a given area? Trying to locate a good ambush spot where they regularly travel? I tend to move my cameras around a lot within a given area I’m hunting. Right now they are mostly around feeding and bedding areas because I’m most interested in seeing what animals are there vs. developing a strategy for actually hunting them. As it gets closer to the season, I will move them to where the sign tends to indicate travel routes so I can get a better sense of their movement patterns (which will be different then than it is now).

I felt like the area I was in would “have” to have animals as season progressed but of course we all know how that goes. My goal was to place enough now and pull first week of season. That being said, while light travel route were there, very few superhighways were to be found.

And to answer your question if I could determine a good ambush spot that would be ideal but of course it’ll take a few weeks to see how that plays out. I’ll be in 7-8-9-19 during co muzzloader if that’s any help.

Back