Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

When is the peak rut in Colorado

This year is going to be my first year archery Elk hunting in Colorado and I am wondering when is usually the peak rut in Colorado. And what time in the rut is your favorite time to hunt and when does it usually occur. Thanks for helping out a newbie!

The rut has been crazy for the last couple of years with the weather we've had. It used to be the begining of September or during muzzleloader season, but lately it seems like the rut has been going later into 1st rifle. I think a lot of your question is weather and area related.

I have found it really depends the weather and elevation you are finding the elk. Southwestern Colorado went late this year. End of September this year.

I'm interested to know the rut timing too. I'm planning to be in CO Sept 5 to 21 September and hoping to see some rut action. Might even have a tag :)

Both of these gentlemen are correct that weather is a contributing factor. A good rule of thumb about the elk rut is to time your hunts 5-7 days around September 25. The rut can be found to be the best either 5-7 days before or after that September 25th date. So someone on limited time should shoot for that time frame. It is by no means set in stone but for someone planning this far in advance that is the best advice I can give. It has worked for me in the past.

This year is going to be my first year archery Elk hunting in Colorado and I am wondering when is usually the peak rut in Colorado. And what time in the rut is your favorite time to hunt and when does it usually occur. Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Hey brother...These guys are right. The weather has been crazy lately, meaning temperatures have been on the rise. I hunted 2nd rifle season and found some rutting bulls. Depending on where your are hunting, main thing is, unless you are in 3rd or 4th rifle seasons, you need to focus on climbing to 10k - 12k feet. Elk during bow/muzzle loader and 1st rifle are trying to stay in cooler areas. North facing slopes are key as well. If its hot, climb and you'll find the rutting bulls. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Tough to say. A good bet would be the end of September, but bulls will be bugling before that and into first rifle season in the middle of October. Cows have to have their calves at certain time come late spring/early summer so they can be strong enough to make it through their first winter. That being said, the critters have to rut near the same time of year every year. When the rut 'peaks' is impossible to say with complete certainty.

You had better be prepared to have competition if you find a bugling bull. Archery numbers have been on the increase for 10 years, and the number of bulls on the decrease. Do not believe all you read in magazines about hunting here. Most of the bulls have been called at, worked, or have winded a hunter, by the time the rut hits. There is so much hunting pressure now that it is pushing the bulls away from the cows, and the result is that you will see 10 cows and there may be 2 calves with them. Colorado has a problem, Parks and Rec know it, but money talks. We have been having better luck hunting the first of season before they get call shy from hearing ever squawk that the 500 calls on the market can make. Elk adapt, and most rutting is done in between the end of archery and the beginning of first rifle.

Peak rut is around September 20th. Hotter weather just makes them move active with bugling and rutting at night. There's some occasional action into October but those bulls are less likely to get fired up to fight or get stupid coming in for love.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back