When is the best time to scout ?

montanza

when do elk reach the territory they will stay during the rut(besides the actual rut)? In some areas there are more stationary herds than others, and then there are some fairly long migrations (Especially here near the park). In late August elk seem to be pretty high due to heat I assume, and then drop with the temperature. I have heard that mid to late May the temperature is nearly the same as days in September (But this person also doesn't kill too many elk so I took it with a grain of salt). I apply for the 900 archery tag every year so I hunt a few places all over the state and I know some herds don't migrate as far as others but they do travel, even if it's from one hill to the another. I would really like to put more glass on animals in the off season; I just want to be as productive as possible. Any advise would be very appreciated.

I rarely hunt the same unit more than a couple times. I scout the area/roads/access points in the summer. I normally arrive 4-5 days before and then find the elk. I have killed at least one 6point every year in the last 20. The only exception was the year i drew a sheep tag in UT and a late Nev tag. I dont really care if i see game in the summer.camp trips basically

I have found that wherever I find elk in the summer I will find them pretty close by come archery season. I don't think there's any real secret to summer time scouting. Look for high basins with some dark timber nearby for thermal cover. North facing meadows will be the preferred summertime food source.

If the elk move from these areas during archery season, it will likely just be to an area that has less road access.

^This I found a bachelor group of bulls in May that was in the same meadow opening day of rifle season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back