Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's your elk rifle and cartridge?

Sako A7 Tecomate in 300wsm. Leupold Vari-X 3 4.5-14x 40 mm. Harris 12-25" bipod.
165 gr Swift A frames are my load right now, 66 gr IMR 4350.
It's my everything rifle.

.300 RUM Rem LSS I bought new in 2002. It has a Leupold Vari-X II 4-12 with a turret, sits on a B&C stock. I run 180g Nosler Partitions at a hair over 3300 fps. The bolt even has that ugly wart on it but it shoots so well I'm hesitant to change a thing. Elk hate it, I've taken them from 50 to 550 yards with it. Deer, bear, prairie dogs, and many a rock have fallen to it as well.

A Mossberg 30-06 my dad handed down to me. Not anything pretty but a tack driver with 165 partitions. And for timber hunts a good ol Marlin 1895 guide model 45-70 loaded with 400grain Barnes bullets.

For years my wife and I have both used the 300 Rum and 180 gr. Corlok 's . This year I stepped up to a few 338 's and they will get tested here shortly on a Few Montana Spring Bears !

For elk, I have a Rem 700 and a Savage Axis II XP hardwood, both in .308. The Rem is a 3rd generation gun from my grandfather & father and I just gave it to my oldest son so it's now 4 generations. It's killed many many elk, deer, moose, and bear. It could probably use a new barrel to tighten up groups but is still a killer inside 300 yards. I picked up the $400 Savage new a couple years ago and the thing has been very impressive. Frankly, I like shooting it better than the Remington (except for the nostalgia of the family connection). In it's short life it has killed a couple elk, a bull moose, and several deer. I recently picked up a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 for my youngest son who's just getting started. Wow, these current crop of cheap rifles are surprisingly good guns, feel great and very accurate. I'm planning to pick up a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 7mm mag here in a month or two, just because I'd like a low maintenance longer range elk gun, although I've never actually had a need to shoot beyond 300 yards...so not really sure why I think I need it :)

And for timber hunts a good ol Marlin 1895 guide model 45-70 loaded with 400grain Barnes bullets.
I wish I had the 1895 SBL with the laminated stock, big loop lever, picatinny rail, with a matching stainless steel leupold scope. :p <drool!> I've had a chubby for that gun ever since I saw in Wind River.

I wish I had the 1895 SBL with the laminated stock, big loop lever, picatinny rail, with a matching stainless steel leupold scope. :p <drool!> I've had a chubby for that gun ever since I saw in Wind River.
Yup that's what I got except for stainless unfortunately. But I love that gun and it's one I will never part with lol

300 short mag, kimber montana. 165. Bought my kids each 6.5 creedmoor ruger predator. 143. Looking at christensen arms ridgline 300 rum

I got a Sako av back in high school chambered for 7rm. It never shot great with it’s 22 inch barrel. I put a 26 inch lilja after I shot out the original, and now it will shoot 168vld and 160 accubonds at 3k FPS into a teacup waaaay further than I’m willing to shoot an elk

R700 7mm-08 which I customed out a bit. Chopped to 22”, Timney, McMillan Hunters Edge bedded, Talley LW lows, Leupold VX-3 2.5-8, bolt fluted, etc.

Kampfeld did the fluting, Fosnaugh did the rest.

Shooting handloads; 140 NAB’s.

After having a horrible elk hunting experience with a 25.06 (which kills elk just fine but not always with a blood trail) I switched to a 375 H&H X bolt. Shoots 235 gr Barnes and I added a front Williams ghost ring fire sight for when I decide to quick release the scope.

View attachment 103870

Better picture of the gun after its first elk. 60 yards on a dead run with 2 other bulls behind it. Dropped this bull on the run and then the 2 other bulls ran past kinda unsure what to do.

Hi all,

I'm sure I can sift through the responses to get a feel for this question, but I'm curious about two things. My father is sick and has always wanted a Browning X-Bolt for himself, but it doesn't look like he will be hunting again. He still wants to get one for myself and my brother to share and pass down to our kids. He seems to be stuck on the X-Bolt, which seems fine to me as it seems like a great gun. So my two questions:

1) If you have an X-Bolt, do you feel it was worth the money? Have you felt good about the quality and durability?

2) If you were to choose a cartridge from a blank slate, what would it be? I currently run a .308 and feel good about that caliber but have also heard good things about 6.5 creedmoor and would be open to other suggestions. I would want enough versatility to use the gun for (primarily) elk, mule deer almost as often, and pronghorn on a less frequent basis. I've currently capped my shot distance for myself at 300 yards but would like to push that out closer to 400.

Thanks for any insights!

Hi all,

I'm sure I can sift through the responses to get a feel for this question, but I'm curious about two things. My father is sick and has always wanted a Browning X-Bolt for himself, but it doesn't look like he will be hunting again. He still wants to get one for myself and my brother to share and pass down to our kids. He seems to be stuck on the X-Bolt, which seems fine to me as it seems like a great gun. So my two questions:

1) If you have an X-Bolt, do you feel it was worth the money? Have you felt good about the quality and durability?

2) If you were to choose a cartridge from a blank slate, what would it be? I currently run a .308 and feel good about that caliber but have also heard good things about 6.5 creedmoor and would be open to other suggestions. I would want enough versatility to use the gun for (primarily) elk, mule deer almost as often, and pronghorn on a less frequent basis. I've currently capped my shot distance for myself at 300 yards but would like to push that out closer to 400.

Thanks for any insights!
To answer your question #1 for me personally it is absolutely worth it and quality and durability have been great. I bought one and liked it so much I bought another. The little features the X bolts have really set them apart IMO.

Reactions: FYT
XBolt 300wsm - what I usually use and killed this years Mt bull with 200 eldx
Jon Beanland M700 6.5 saum custom - heavier than xbolt so it gets used for milder day hunts especially if also carrying a deer tag. 135 grain Berger classics.
Desert tech SRSa1 300 Norma - usually just when glassing close to vehicle with possibility for a long shot (weighs over 16 lb). Slinging Berger 230s.

Up and comers- seekins havak 300wm. If I can get it to shoot well enough it will replace the 6.5 saum in some elk hunts.
Tikka hell’s canyon custom 7 saum with 22” carbon barrel (being built currently) will see a ultra 7 suppressor when it makes sense.

Last edited:
Back