Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

whats the correct wt???

barefooter19

If my arrows are 28 1/2 in. long and I shoot a bow that is 70lbs. draw wt. and 29 1/2 draw langth what is the correct arrow spine for my set up? I'm not worried about speed, but I want a heavy enough arrow to do the job on an elk. thanks

The manufacturers have charts that give the correct spine based on arrow length and draw weight. With a longer arrow & higher draw weight you will need a stiffer spine. I shoot 340 on Eastons and 7595 on my Goldtips with a 30" arrow & 70# draw, yours should be real similar.

You are up in the 340 spine range. That being said, different bows, shooters, styles ect can make a difference. The manufactures charts are a good starting point, but not the final say. Most charts put me at a 400 spine, but when I tried a stiffer 340, my shooting improved.
What kind of bow, recurve, single cam, duel cam ? Do you use a release ? What kind of rest. And (this is a big one) how heavy are your broadheads ?
If you have a brand of arrows you like, go to there web site , most will have an interactive chart you can use. After that, play around with tip weight to fine tune it.

I'm shooting basically the same weight and draw as you. I shot a Beman Hunter ICS in a 340 and now I shoot a Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575 shaft. I shoot 100 grain broadhead/field tips and blazer vanes. I have shot elk and other large game with those arrows and have had no problems as long as you can place the arrow where it counts to hit vitals. Both are strong arrows but I went with the Gold Tip for speed and a bit more accuracy at longer ranges.
But again, that's in my setup and it may be different with yours. The speed ranges I get ranged from 274-282fps depending on what my bow draw weight was set at and which particular bow I had at the time. I shot those in a Hoyt Ultra Tec, Hoyt ViperTec, Parker Hunter Mag and now my new Ross CR334.

With that set up you can go with gold tip 5575's or blackhawk 4000. But at
70 #'s I would suggest your arrow weight be at least 500 grains. slower speeds at that weight but will have much better penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back