Yeti GOBOX Collection

What's on the smoker today?

This is made in my hometown. I'm inspired by your experience. Thinking snack sticks. Advise?
I think it will work amazing. The older the better is my understanding. I love snack sticks and they are way more convenient, but I have a hard time getting the consistency on stuffing and smoker temp I need. Summer sausage for me is way easier because it’s much easier to stuff and more forgiving on the cook.

That being said I am sure I just need practice. Next sticks I do will have cheese cubes in them. I would go a bit smaller on the dice as the stick stuffer tube is small.

Report back!

BBQ being developed in the pre-colonial New World to make tough meat tender, or at least edible, I've always found it interesting to BBQ products normally undesirable to make them fit to eat. That's the irony of BBQ. Cheap, undesirable cuts formerly BBQ'd out of necessity are now spendy because people learned to BBQ. So what's cheap or undesirable now? Processed meat products! A cheap Carolina Pride sausage, for instance, is actually good if warmed up on the smoker. Same thing with most hams nowadays.

We had stopped eating hams mostly because they're so pumped full of solution and bloated with fat, to make them weigh more, that they're disgusting when cooked by traditional methods. The same ham I wouldn't touch cooked in an oven is pretty good cooked low n slow to render it to what a ham should be. This has worked with any grocery store ham so far. Unfortunately doing so with a cheap grocery store pork butt has also rendered it to ham, but that's another story.

BBQ being developed in the pre-colonial New World to make tough meat tender, or at least edible, I've always found it interesting to BBQ products normally undesirable to make them fit to eat. That's the irony of BBQ. Cheap, undesirable cuts formerly BBQ'd out of necessity are now spendy because people learned to BBQ. So what's cheap or undesirable now? Processed meat products! A cheap Carolina Pride sausage, for instance, is actually good if warmed up on the smoker. Same thing with most hams nowadays.

We had stopped eating hams mostly because they're so pumped full of solution and bloated with fat, to make them weigh more, that they're disgusting when cooked by traditional methods. The same ham I wouldn't touch cooked in an oven is pretty good cooked low n slow to render it to what a ham should be. This has worked with any grocery store ham so far. Unfortunately doing so with a cheap grocery store pork butt has also rendered it to ham, but that's another story.
So true! Just bought some short ribs to make birria this weekend. Almost as pricy as tenderloin when you consider the meat to bone ratio in those things.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do some Shanks today for tacos. Any body have any tips? Thinking I'm going to smoke them for a while then braise? What say you @Wildabeest ? @WildWill ?
I always rub them smoke at low 2-4 hours then add to the crock pot for a few hours on low until the meat is coming of the bone. Usually use a combo of green enchilada sauce and beef broth for the braising liquid.

Tired of paying another man to make my sausage. I had a grinder and a slicer so I finally decided to jump in and buy a stuffer and a vac sealer.

First round - elk jalapeño and cheese summer sausage and wild turkey teriyaki snack sticks.

Summer sausage is amazing. Sticks are good but not great. Hard to get the texture right on the turkey. To cook it high enough to be safe seems to dry it out.

View attachment 321243View attachment 321244View attachment 321246View attachment 321247View attachment 321248View attachment 321249
Looks great.
Just curious how do you like the wevac bags? Comparable to Foodsaver or Costco brand?

Looks great.
Just curious how do you like the wevac bags? Comparable to Foodsaver or Costco brand?
Can’t complain but I don’t know much about them. I was extremely happy with how they snugged up and sealed.

The last time I sealed I was using a borrowed Foodsaver vac and FS bags and had a heck of a time getting a good seal. Not sure it was the bags, the unit, or both.

I'm gonna do some Shanks today for tacos. Any body have any tips? Thinking I'm going to smoke them for a while then braise? What say you @Wildabeest ? @WildWill ?
I would probably season and sear them a bit prior to the smoke
That was my plan as well. I feel better about it now. Thank you.
I do pretty much the same. I like beef stock, ancho and guajllo and chipotle peppers, smashed garlic, onion and cilantro for braising.

I would probably season and sear them a bit prior to the smoke

I do pretty much the same. I like beef stock, ancho and guajllo and chipotle peppers, smashed garlic, onion and cilantro for braising.
I did season them up with some Goya Mexican seasoning. Apparently three days of rain and now freezing Temps and 45mph blowing snow the pellet smoker didn't want to cooperate. Took me about 3 seconds of trying to get it going to say F this. So now we're gonna be minus the smoke flavor today.

I did season them up with some Goya Mexican seasoning. Apparently three days of rain and now freezing Temps and 45mph blowing snow the pellet smoker didn't want to cooperate. Took me about 3 seconds of trying to get it going to say F this. So now we're gonna be minus the smoke flavor today.
Sunshine and 65 here. Gonna go throw some juglines out with the kids this evening.

Was planning last weekend to grill some steaks this week. Rain and snow blowing sideways put an end to that!

IMG_3169.jpeg
Recently got a Camp Chef pellet grill. Took me a minute to try smoking instead of grilling. Followed smoked-meat.com recipe for spatchcock chicken. Left side mayo Cajun right side mayo jerk. I’ll never go back to oven or crockpot. Sorry no after pics I’ll get better.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back