PEAX Equipment

What’s in the Crockpot Today?

chuckchili

Share what is gracing your crockpot, slow cooker or pressure cooker.

One of my all time favorites is Kalhua Pig. 6-7 pound pork butt (shoulder/Boston butt/picnic roast- whatever you call them) Liquid Smoke, Kosher Salt, pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire and top with a couple bananas or banana leaves if you got them. Cook on low for anywhere between 11-20 hours, removing the bananas after they turn black and adding shredded cabbage for a couple hours at the end. So juicy and delicious- good with a little Sriracha too. Traditionally served with rice and Hawaiian macaroni salad. Awesome sandwiches for leftovers.

C2D75E8D-588E-4B0B-B9C3-9A4F9A60C6F9.png0B7AE797-9670-4747-9334-70D37841088E.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of this either but I do have a pork butt in the freezer... don’t forget to show us the finished product too!

Kept the soup bones from a cow we had butchered. Crock pot em for the broth & give the meatier portions to the Goldens. Plan on making some peppered beef noodle soup this weekend.

Share what is gracing your crockpot, slow cooker or pressure cooker.

One of my all time favorites is Kalhua Pig. 6-7 pound pork butt (shoulder/Boston butt/picnic roast- whatever you call them) Liquid Smoke, Kosher Salt, pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire and top with a couple bananas or banana leaves if you got them. Cook on low for anywhere between 11-20 hours, removing the bananas after they turn black and adding shredded cabbage for a couple hours at the end. So juicy and delicious- good with a little Sriracha too. Traditionally served with rice and Hawaiian macaroni salad. Awesome sandwiches for leftovers.

View attachment 174579View attachment 174666
Looks amazing! Do you feel as though the bananas add flavor? I know banana leaves are traditional but I always figured they helped with holding in moisture more than flavor. I might have to try this.

I have a whitetail deer neck thawing as we speak. One of my favorite "cuts" to throw in the crock. No meat comes out more tender than the neck :)

Whitetail neck roast went in last evening with the traditional potatoes, celery, onions, and lots of carrots. Will be my lunches for most of this week.

Have some Sandhill Crane legs and thighs in the sous vide right now. Cooking them for 48 hours at 145. Going to be interesting to see how they turn out.

Going to attempt to turn the legs into pulled pork type taco meat. Thinking about finishing the boneless thighs on the grill.

npaden.

Never heard of anyone eating anything but the breast.

48 hours at low temp should tenderize anything!

Elk neck Adovado.
Debating using the crock or slow cooking in oven in enamel CI now. I think the oven rules today in NM.
I'll salt & pepper the half neck & brown it quick in a little bacon grease in the CI. Add bay leaf, mexican oregano,garlic,cumin,diced onion. Pour in beef broth or stock and a couple cups of NM red chile sauce stick it in oven 350 1hr to start,turn down to 275 and wait. Usually takes 4-6 hrs and I check fluid level occationally adding stock,water or more red chile sauce. I'd even slosh in some red wine if I had some.
Meat should just fall apart into sauce as you stir up the bottom goodies,rue to you snobs....lol

I sorta cook using various cook books, methods and adapt with what I have. Hank Shaw method with Taste of Santa Fe thrown in today.
Pinto beans & rice on side.

Last edited:
So what I thought was neck was brisket in pieces....lol.
So I cleaned it up & cut into chunks,salt1/2 tbs & peppered 1 tsp,browned it quick in CI, added a course diced onion. & 1 tbsp of Dixon med.hot chile powder,1 tsp cumin & a pinch of whole cumin seed (I like it) 1tsp mex oregano, light garlic powder & bay leaf,poured in 1/2 box of beef stock/enough to just cover meat.
It'll cook at 350 for an hr now,then I'll reduce heat to 275 & add more stock & the Bueno red chile. I'll check to keep liquid level up.

Last edited:
The Mississippi pot roast is what I got going in the crockpot for tomorrow. Easy recipe, the family enjoys it and I just turn it in the morning. Best recipe I have found to use on the football, either elk or deer.

The Mississippi pot roast is what I got going in the crockpot for tomorrow. Easy recipe, the family enjoys it and I just turn it in the morning. Best recipe I have found to use on the football, either elk or deer.
That is one of our family favorites too!

npaden.

Never heard of anyone eating anything but the breast.

48 hours at low temp should tenderize anything!

7D14E9D2-980E-4EE1-8AC4-83ADB18D49A8.jpeg

Well, it was a learning experience. Even after 48 hours the legs were not really edible. The thighs didn’t stay together enough to go on the grill but they were fine in the stew. Thinking it through, the bone in legs might have worked at a higher temperature (maybe 165 instead of 145). The boneless thighs didn't need 48 hours, but they weren't mush, they just didn't stay together and that probably had more to do with the way I made them boneless to start with.

For sure the breasts are the best part, doesn’t take much to make them good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back