Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's happing?

KY Sportsman

It's been a while since anyone posted. What is going on out there? Had a successful hunt and will continue to go to WY as long as health holds out. Antelope, trout, sharptails. Hard to beat!

Ha, man, what are you smokin over there in KY?

I've heard a lot of people talk highly of WY as a non-resident hunting destination. How much does it cost for you to hunt there each year? Just antelope? Any pics of the hunt this year?

Last edited:
What's Happening?

Since I am not horn hunting, $50 per doe tag, $14 for NR fishing & $28 for NR small game. Did the whole 9 day trip for under $600. Price of gas helped

I've heard a lot of people talk highly of WY as a non-resident hunting destination. How much does it cost for you to hunt there each year? Just antelope? Any pics of the hunt this year?

WY antelope is the gateway drug to western hunting. The buck tags are pretty cheap (~$270) and doe tags are dirt cheap ($38-50). There are decent bucks in every unit, preference points and harder to draw units generally provide better public land access, but even a 'poor' unit like I hunted the past two years has decent opportunity if you are willing to walk further than the next guy.

I had this guy and a doe quartered and into my pack by 11am opening morning after a 3 mile hike from the nearest public road.

atH5ri4l.jpg

Assuming you don't need any gear and are equipped to camp, you can do a WY antelope trip for a few hundred bucks. Driving from Chicago and splitting gas 2-3 ways it's cost me about $600 all together including tags (1 buck 1 doe), gas, food, etc.

What's Happening?

Nice buck! Have a couple of those from years past. Now just like the meat. Between my hunting buddy & I we bring back 4 does, which gives us and my kids each an animal. With our KY deer the freezer looks pretty good! Would like a mulie in the future. What are the chances in Montana for a NR?

Attachments

• 18 inch rainbow.JPG
    18 inch rainbow.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 1st sharptail grouse.JPG
    1st sharptail grouse.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 243
Wow, that's pretty cheap! I worked in WY for a summer and couldn't believe how many antelope there were! Seemed like every hill had a herd.

Montana is pretty much a guarantee for getting a deer tag. Good public land opportunities, also. Not sure how much a deer tag costs, but an elk/deer combo is somewhere in the $900-$1000 dollar range.

I'm already planning for next year. I saved 17 vacation days this year plus what I get next year. I'm planning on some piece and quiet.

Back