what would cause hounds to turn on each other???

yoteler

I was out running a few days ago, it was perfect a fresh snow fall the night before. We started out dumping 3 hounds, the dogs ran coldtracked about 20 mins until they had 2 yotes jumped. Once this happend we dumped 2 more hounds out. The dogs ran about a hour 1/2 before putting both yotes in a tube. As we approach the dogs, 2 out of the original 3 dogs we let out turned on the 3rd dog. It was pretty bad the 2 dogs had him on each side trying to rip him apart, by the time it was over the dog could not even walk, we ended up going back out and getting him with a snowmobile. I have never seen anything like this( I have seen fights in the pecking order ) but nothing like this there was a 30 foot circle of blood in the snow. Why would the dogs do this ?????

The hound is not to good. It had alot of puncture wounds and some open cuts and muscle damage, not sure of internal injuries the dog was headed to the vet hospital by the time we had the other dogs cought up. Needless to say he will be out for awhile for recovery that is if he makes it and infection does not get him. I will be sure to keep you up to date.

Yoteler, I've hunted with dogs, not so much hounds but Plott dogs, for 33 years. I have seen this in the past and I continue to see it in the dogs I have right now. It is not uncommon.
In my case, I have been selectively breeding for dogs that will willingly mix it up with a bear. There are times when the breeding just takes over and the dog is fighting on auto pilot. Sometimes he gets so worked up that he just wants to fight, and it makes no difference if he is fighting the bear or another dog. He is just so worked up that it happens. You can break up the fight, lead back to the rig and haul the same dogs in the box all the way home and not have another incident for months.
Its just something you have to watch, and something you have to be prepared for. About all you can really do is to recognize what the potenctial is and minimize the risks when you can. Such as tying up as soon as you get to a tree, keeping them separated at feeding time, knowing which dogs you can box together and which ones you cant.
In the situation you described, there is not much you can do. One thing you want to do is evaluate the situation and determine if the dog was just really worked up because of the hunting situation, or is he just mean. If its just hunting, you kind of have to put up with it. If the dog is just plain mean, you'll see it manifest itself other places and you definatly want to cull it out before it becomes contagious and spreads to all the dogs.

I've seen dogs turn on another one when it yelps. They could have been best buddies a few minutes ago, yet one yelps and the others turn on it. I wonder if using the dogs on yotes, which are just like another dog, creates a similar situation when combined with the adrenalin rush as stated above. (No experience with hounds, just bird dogs.)

thanks everyone for your reply's the said news is, the dog died from his injuries. I guess when you have hounds that fight this is what happens. The dog that started the fight sadly was put down as well. It is a bad situation all around but thanks everyone for your replys.

it is a good thing that you put the other dog down. I have seen this before and all that happens is a good dogs getting killed. And sometimes getting the others it get agresive at the tree. I hope you dont let this discourage you. Get another dog and get in the woods

Sorry to hear about your dog. Like some of the others most of my experience is bird dogs.the only time I have seen dogs kill each other is from different kennels.
2 Alfa dominant males got thrown together and left unattended for about an hour it was a mess one died from infection.
Seams odd kennel mates would do that.but hounds are more aggressive than bird dogs.
I think dogs can tell the difference in a coyote.I shot one bird hunting once and all my bird dogs went for it snarling and growling.They wanted to tear it apart.
they never did that with dogs and they were around a lot of them.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back