Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What type of mount?

Funter

IF you had the choice which mount do you prefer? Head,european full body(if you have the room). Say for bear, deer,elk and lion.

Bear I would like a full body.
Deer a sneek pose
Elk in a bugle or slight look to one side or the other.
I had a friend do a european mounted on a piece of juniper that turned out very nice.
Lion it would be a full body.

bear,I'm tryin to decide right now.........I have the perfect place for a life mount, but cant get myself to spend $2100. So, I'm leaning toward a rug, $650.
Lion would be a full mount.
Elk, head turned sideways, bugling. More lifelike and makes more room for antlers.
Deer, I have the sneak pose and have always liked that the best.

Prefer the european for antler mounts...takes up less space & accentuates the rack...

I like the european mount for small bucks, but if you smoke a mulie over 180-190 you should get it mounted. I say that but I've gotten a 160 buck mounted.

I would like an Elk over 330 mounted bugling.

Moose maybe.

Wolves and bears are nice rugs. Full mount Grizz will be cool. One day I hope to draw a tag. I'll rug a wolf anyday. But a Black bear I would like a 7ft or biggger squared for a rug (hopefully this year!).

Sheep for sure.

Cougar would have to be a coin toss for rug or full mount. I like both.

Pedastal mount for deer, offset shoulder mount for elk bugling and lion and bear full body mounted.

Bear - Rug
Deer - I have one muley european and just got my 03 buck done in semi-sneak which I really like
Elk - Shoulder mount, sideways bugling
Others I'd like - Mtn. goat full body on rock ledge, full body bobcat, bighorn shoulder mount, whitetail shoulder mount.

a mount is an art peice, you have to have a good one or face looking at one every day that looks like $hit.

i dont know what my mount is called but it sure is impresive to look at. its head is up and the ears flow under the antlers like he is hearing some thing off to the side. his head is turned to the rigfht slightly but i would have done it to the left if i could do it over again.

its not some much the size but the hunt. i would mount any thing smller than a 150 whitetail or 160 mule deer but if it was a good hunt yes then do a shoulder mount as they are really nice to look at. the one that i have mounted grossed 184 and netted 160 ish, but hes got a nice drop tine and is a big deer all round.

Let's see some pics

Here's one I got done of my first four pointer. The rest will be made as a european mount, until I get something huge. This ones just a 160. I'm still waitin on my wolf.

Attachments

• Buckpicks2.JPG
    Buckpicks2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 204
Funter,
Good ? but you crack me sideways.
you dont ever get drawn out there for bear or elk so why worry about getting mounts done.
Ha Ha!
Seriously, The euro mount you have for the elk is cool and that is the style I would use for everything but lion or bear. Those would have to be full body mounts like the artic fox I gave you.
Have to have something with it, not just animal.

I think deer look the best as shoulder mounts...a special buck maybe a pedestal or wall pedestal.

Bear rugs all the way.

Lions, bobcats, bears are great lifesize if your taxidermist is good, if not they look like crap. A good many lion mounts I've seen look like they belong in the garage behind the rakes and shovels.

Sheep look good as pedestal mounts.

Antelope shoulder mounts and a special buck a wall pedestal or pedestal.

Mountain goats, if you dont lifesize them, cut the horns off with a sawsall and nail the horns to a hunk of plywood.

Moose, elk, caribou Europeans or a good shoulder mount for a real nice one.

I really like taxidermy !
Full mounts of anything are definitely the best and neatest, unfortunately it's not practical due to the cost and amount of room they take up in many cases. Not too many of us have personal space or a bankroll like Cabelas available.

Shoulder mounts are a fine way to go with any antlered or horned animal, although if I'm ever lucky enough to get a book deer, I'll full mount it. If you don't want to spend the bucks for a mount, a European, or simple skull and rack on a plaque look nice with an accompanying photo from the field.

Coyotes, wolves, fox, etc. look pretty neat just tanned and hunt by the nose. I think bears should be full mount or rugged, have not seen many partial bear mounts I thought looked very good. Cougars look great full mounted, laying on a log.

Don't overlook photos. Anymore, I consider the photos from trips nearly as neat as the mounted game. Enlarge them, frame them and display them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back