Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What should I do

Nut

Okay I had planned on taking some vacation days on the 6th and 7th of October in order to have 4 days of deer hunting since the archery season opens on the 4th. However I was thinking about changing the vacation days to the 13th and 14th.

(I am splitting up and using vacation days in sets of 2 or 3 at a time in order to facilitate more times to be outdoors and experience different hunts.)

Why? Fall turkey starts on the 11th and I was thinking that the second week of the season would lessen the crowd some also for bowhunters in the woods. It might increase the shotgun using turkey hunters but I do not think they would be as many.

No matter what happens I will be out hunting on the weekend dates of October 4,5,11 and 12th(Plus the following weekends)

I have hunted both weeks the last couple of years on both public and private lands. Hopefully this will be the same mixture. (Going this weekend to SE Ohio to scout,hunt and double check permissions)

But I am liking the ideal of hunting turkeys along with deer at the same time. I can use the legal archery to take a turkey during shotgun season.

So which week would you think would be best?

Make yourself happy. Do what you want and you'll never be wrong.

Don't forget KY.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-03-2003 17:09: Message edited by: MEATHEAD ]</font>

I have 2 days vacation put in for that weekend
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Nut,

I don't know who you are calling an "opinonated butthead", but it better not be ME!
fight.gif
As I am an "opinonated Smart Ass"..... Don't mix the two up...
wink.gif

Re-post it down in SI, and say that you are considering taking the days off to:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>protest illegal aliens with CJCJ
<LI>Cut ATV trails with Ten and company
<LI>or testify to the need to breach the four Lower Snake River Dams[/list]Then we'll all tell you what to do..
biggrin.gif

I would wait until even later. When does the archery season end and gun season begin in OH? In SW IN, the rut starts getting ramped up (usually) around Halloween. I've seen more big bucks in the first two weeks of Nov. than the rest of the year! Rutting bucks are much more mobile than those just going from food to water to bed.

Nut, what is your history of seeing turkeys while hunting deer? If I often saw turkeys while deer hunting I'd consider it, but if it's an uncommon occurence I wouldn't change my plans. I tend to hunt one thing at a time.
biggrin.gif

LOL Gunner you definately are a smart ass
wink.gif

Thanks Elky

pointer... the shotgun season starts December 1st. I already put in for the 1st,2nd and 3rd as vacation days.

I also have 2 days planned to go to dgibsons in Kentucky for the rifle opener there on November 8th.

I plan on hunting closer to home for the rut to where I don't need much time and can skate a half day of work for it a time or two.

Darren,,, my luck at deer hunting is I see deer (based on last year.) When I turkey hunt I dont see any deer or turkey at all.

I will be going to where I plan on hunting tomorrow night and camping the weekend. After I talk with the landowners I will know more on what days to take.
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies

cjcj and I protesting illegals just cant get out of my mind. It would be a hoot for sure.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Sorry Nut I didn't realize you wanted the opinion of an opinionated butthead, I thought you wanted good info.
biggrin.gif
I'd go as soon as I could. I like to be there the first morning before the unopinionated buttheads chase all the game into the the deep woods. But thats just me. Best of luck wichever way you choose.

Nut you can always hunt illegals down on the border, and there is no limit! you don`t need a tag, and you can hunt at night with a spotlight!

Back