Caribou Gear

What rifles are the least picky with ammunition?

Well I have had multiple savage rifles that didn't shoot worth a darn. I only have 2 with the factory barrels on them and they have a Proof barrel on them, Ultralights. Had a 25/06, a couple 7mm rem mags and a 300 win mag, all are now carrying different barrels. Had a Tikka 7mm rem mag I couldn't get to shoot...got rid of it. Had a browning x bolt that wouldn't shoot either. Just got rid of a ruger American in 22-250 that was terrible. The new PH2 Havak shoots very well as does a Christensen arms. I do have a tikka in 22-250 that shoots very good. Have had terrible luck with accurate rifles....

My Remington 700 in .264 win mag is extremely picky... like it shoots core-lokt at 9MOA but will cloverleaf my handloads. Even between handloads it shoots similar weight and speed bullets radically different. I basically have to start from scratch when I switch things up. On the other side of the spectrum my tikka veil in .300win mag shoots whatever. Right out of the box shot great with federal power shok, and groups factory and handloads pretty close, only requiring minimal adjustments +/- .25-.5inches between similar weight and speed loads.

AK-47 should win honorable mention as that gun will chew through anything though accuracy is minute of door with any ammo. Most any ammo AND accuracy goes to Savage.

I have two Browning X-bolts in .280 Rem that I haven't found a load that wouldn't shoot.
Also a Thompson Center Dimension in 7mm-08 that likes everything I have tried in it.

Well I have had multiple savage rifles that didn't shoot worth a darn. I only have 2 with the factory barrels on them and they have a Proof barrel on them, Ultralights. Had a 25/06, a couple 7mm rem mags and a 300 win mag, all are now carrying different barrels. Had a Tikka 7mm rem mag I couldn't get to shoot...got rid of it. Had a browning x bolt that wouldn't shoot either. Just got rid of a ruger American in 22-250 that was terrible. The new PH2 Havak shoots very well as does a Christensen arms. I do have a tikka in 22-250 that shoots very good. Have had terrible luck with accurate rifles....
Anyone gonna tell him it might not be the rifles....😂

Nah I'm kidding, been there. Had a 308 that was super precise but would change point of impact day to day. Drove me insane until I got rid of it.

My Weatherby Vanguard is fairly picky about brand more than anything. Federal it shoots most the same. Hornaday it hates. From 1moa to 6moa easily

My best shooting barrels have been heavy cut rifled ones from Bartlein, Proof, Brux, Rock, and similar.

All chambered in rounds like 6.5x47, 6 BR, 6 Dasher, and a quite accurate 6.5 PRC.

The most accurate factory rifle I’ve personally owned is a Seekins PH2 6 Creed.

I’ve never had a BAD factory Tikka, but they’ve shot a bit larger average groups than the above, say 1.0”-1.2” 10 shot groups. Very consistent still. The better Remington barrels have been similar. I know there are some really good shooting Savages, but…I can’t bring myself to do it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back