what lope decoy to use??

schmalts

So I will probably be headed to MT to fling arrows at lopes this fall. What would be a good decoy that is light enough to pack on a flight out there and back. I see a couple advertised but no one around here has them in stock to look at.

This is what I have used 100.00

Montana Decoys
Crafted of a lightweight, yet durable polyester fabric with a detailed photo-image printed on both sides for a 3-D effect, Montana Decoys give new meaning to portable and realistic. Because they pack down to a 2" x 16" diameter disc that weighs only 2 pounds, they are easy to pack into the most remote locations. A spring steel band inside the body pops the decoy open for fast, easy set up, and a simple twisting motion folds it for transport. Fiberglass tent-style poles with step stakes support the decoy.
Available: Whitetail Doe, Cow Elk, Antelope Buck.

I second what Muley Crazy said. It's tough and doesn't weigh much, had one for a couple of years and haven't destroyed it yet.

schelmster

Lickbag Miller was telling me about one that you could mount to your bow stabilizer, anyone know what that one is?

Lickbag Miller was telling me about one that you could mount

That's all I need to read in that post...

I haven't used the bow mounted versions. I am still using the old plastic "trifold" decoy but I wouldn't recomend it. They are noisy, a pain in the arse to set into hard or rocky ground on a moments notice and they will fold back on themselves if you face them into the wind (now that I think about it, why do I even carry that cocksuckin' thing!)

I agree w/ the others that the MT decoy is the best deal I have seen, BUT again they are a pain in a strong wind. The other draw back w/ the MT decoy is that since it has 2 rods that go into the ground it makes it harder to swing the decoy as an animal circles you.

Or you could just have IDBuglr have you make an antelope hat reminiscent of his Kodiak hat. Carharts with the middle cutout (beltline to manboobs) would round out the antelope costume nicely.

If you don't have to hike in to far, Carrylite has come out with a phenominal 3D decoy.....everything fits into the body cavity and you sling it over your shoulder with the included strap....

A2007_200.jpg

http://www.carrylitedecoys.com/productDetail.aspx?id=A2007

Personally, I have had to much dang good luck with my old tried and true plywood decoy, that I just can't see getting anything else......

Why would you need a decoy? As hot and dry as it has been you just need to find a waterhole they are using and stick a double bull blind on it, then sweat your ass off until the buck you want shows up. No need for a decoy.

There are lots of full stock ponds that would fit the bill.

Nemont

I guess i think the decoy thing would be fun. And a decoy is a lot better to transport on an airline than a blind.

I guess i think the decoy thing would be fun.

Schmalts,
Decoying is a lot funner than sitting on a water hole. You will probably do well at both. I have killed a couple antelope bucks off decoys and both of them came charging in from over 400 yards out. They came to the decoy on a Dead run about ran me and the decoy over. Both shots were 25 yards or less.

It depends on if the rut is on or not wether to waterhole or decoy. If you decoy the MT decoy is the ticket, you need a partner to man the decoy at all times to turn it towards the oncoming buck at whatever angle he's at to present a threat that is much effective. Make sure the person on the decoy doesn't get scared cause it's quite intimidating. Good Luck

In my experience anyway, I have not been as successful with decoys and rutting bucks. (although I must admit the lack of success was primarily user error) They are a blast, though (if conditions are right). Many times hunters start using them too early before bucks are rutting hard thereby making the bucks a bit more warry regarding the decoy. Go with the first posters advice for a decoy, it fits the bill. I hate bow mounts and 3-D's, are a bit bulky, HOWEVER, if you are patient and have access to an alfalfa field, set up a ground blind, buy the 3-d decoy, cut and replace the legs so it is laying down and cut off the horns. Set it about 12 feet from the blind. (make sure you are on the edge-line of a field that is being used. You'll have a lot of action and it beats a 12-hour death sit at a water hole.

I will be there the last week of Sept. As far as blinds go, i can always try to booger one together out of natural cover if need be. Hell I will have 7 days to spend the mid days hunting lopes to keep busy unless i nap instead.

Back