Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What Foxpro is a good value for wolves?

Browtinemt

As title implies, I need a little help with choosing a foxpro for calling wolves. Looking in the $200 range, but I have zero experience with any electronic calls so I don't know what features are nice or what units are dependable. I'd rather not get 4-5 miles back and find out the call I bought doesn't work below 15 degrees kind of stuff. I have used distress calls for coyotes with success, but only during archery elk hunting because the coyotes were hindering my hunt.
I bought a closed reed wolf call, but sound more like an angry loon than a wolf. I noticed that MT has allowed the use of electronic calls and thought that might be a better option for me so I can go back to bugling my way to work instead of loon howling. I also came across the allpredatorcalls website that will customize what call you buy with whatever sounds you choose...so I was hoping somebody could recommend a few sounds that have worked for them. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you care to share.

I have a Fox Pro Wildfire that has done me well for coyotes. I've never had it out in extreme cold weather, so I can't speak as to how it would work under those conditions, but I've had decent battery life and the sounds that come with it are fairly realistic.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it I went the Cabela's website and they have the Wildfire 2 on sale right now for $139.99. The big difference with the 2 is that it has a USB port that you can make customizable sound programs, that I can't with my original.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/FOXPRO-Wildfire-Predator-Call/1376071.uts

Last edited:
I has a Wildfire and now a Hellfire. The Hellfire seems to call in more coyotes than I did with the Wildfire but that could be because I got better a setting up and calling. Both worked.
I call coyotes where there are Wolfs (I see their tracks in the snow while coyote calling) but have never called in a wolf. Not sure if there is a different way to call Wolfs or the same calls technique works for
wolfs.

I have a Spitfire. It has worked at every temperature I've tried.

Always carry backup batteries.

I'm looking at the Inferno and having allpredatorcalls customize the sounds on it to be more wolf specific. Mr. Cushman, the wildfire seems like the tried and true unit the Inferno is replacing and is tempting, but I'm not sure if I'd be money ahead, even or behind after I get it programmed to better suit wolf instead of coyote calling. Mtmander, I'm hoping coyote calling and wolf calling are similar but I'll have to find out the hard way. Thanks for the knowledge t bone. Do you guys have go to sounds that you'd for sure get put on whatever unit you have?

Any model of FoxPro should work fine down to at least 0. Their wolf sounds are not that great and voice howling is far better if that's the route your going. Expect to sit on stand at least 30 minutes if not 45-60 for wolves. That's what the government trappers I've talked to say anyhow. That's pretty tough to do when it's below 15 degrees.

Thanks MTWild, 15 is chilly to sit in, but if I can work in it all day I should be able to play in it all day too :). Voice howling is a good idea I didn't think of and would be significantly better than the Reed call I suck at.
Just based on listening to them during archery season the wolves seemed to travel in a giant loop, with the pack being in the same general vicinity every 9 days or so. That's what it seemed like their pattern was anyway, might have just been a coincidence in a 3 week sample size or maybe a couple different packs days apart. Either way I'd like to give it a shot if for nothing else than exercise and getting to know the area better.
Thanks again for the knowledge and anything else that might shorten my learning curve!

Back