Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What does your hunting preparation workout routine look like?

yeah, if i end up going solo ill probably end up hiring people to help pack. I'm only 5'1 so i think elk hunting will be much more difficult simply because I'll have to climb over more stuff.

yeah, if i end up going solo ill probably end up hiring people to help pack. I'm only 5'1 so i think elk hunting will be much more difficult simply because I'll have to climb over more stuff.
So very cool that you have the grit to do the things you want to do AND are planning more trips - Sometimes reality is a tough pill to swallow but if you think about it the trip is the prize, the trophy is what ices the cake and doing things with friends and/or family sweetens the deal that much more - I've known a few ladies in my years that were as hardcore and me or pretty much anyone I ever hunted and fished with. Like Clint said, "a man needs to know his limitations" and that goes for a gal too. Risk needs to be "managed" no matter the context but first one needs to understand "risk" ......

So very cool that you have the grit to do the things you want to do AND are planning more trips - Sometimes reality is a tough pill to swallow but if you think about it the trip is the prize, the trophy is what ices the cake and doing things with friends and/or family sweetens the deal that much more - I've known a few ladies in my years that were as hardcore and me or pretty much anyone I ever hunted and fished with. Like Clint said, "a man needs to know his limitations" and that goes for a gal too. Risk needs to be "managed" no matter the context but first one needs to understand "risk" ......
for sure!

I am still rehabbing an injury, but my plan for working out between now and next elk season include:
- swimming (hoping it will get me into good shape without over working my injured ankle)
- lifting heavy (getting my squat and deadlift to 100lbs each)
- yoga
- hiking, building up to at least 5 miles, including adding in a pack and building up the weight as i build up miles

I just want to be strong :)
I host some women hunters and for caribou hunting up here in Alaska, my experience with them is that endurance was more important than strength because it is a long day and day after day after day. Going up a steep slope, rest when winded no problem, but exhausted after 3 hours of hiking can be a problem. Exhausted after the first day can be a problem.
Sore feet the next day can be a problem.

One easy way to build endurance is to walk 3 times a week without a pack the same distance for 3 training sessions.
Then increase that distance by 100 yards for 3 training sessions (really its 100 + 100 on return).
After 6 months, you will be amazed at how many miles you can easily hike and no sore joints the next morning.
Plus tough feet, no blisters, hiking boots that fit like a glove, etc.

One problem is endurance training takes time...maybe 4 hours of hiking after 6 months 2-3 times a week.
It also takes time to build...6 months at least is ideal.
I'd rather host a nimble marathoner than a power lifter gym rat on a backcountry hunt.

I host some women hunters and for caribou hunting up here in Alaska, my experience with them is that endurance was more important than strength because it is a long day and day after day after day. Going up a steep slope, rest when winded no problem, but exhausted after 3 hours of hiking can be a problem. Exhausted after the first day can be a problem.

One easy way to build endurance is to walk 3 times a week without a pack the same distance for 3 training sessions.
Then increase that distance by 100 yards for 3 training sessions (really its 100 + 100 on return).
After 6 months, you will be amazed at how many miles you can easily hike and no sore joints the next morning.

One problem is endurance training takes time...maybe 4 hours of hiking after 6 months 2-3 times a week.
I'd rather host a nimble marathoner than a power lifter gym rat on a backcountry hunt.
THAT depends on the person .......

One needs to do BOTH strength and endurance training - IF you don't have strength then you lack balance as well and working to maintain balance (like not wavering on poor footing and such) will wear you out just as much as miles

Just wondering if any other ladies have hunting-specific workout routines or do anything special to train in preparation for hunting season??? As I'm researching what tags I want to put in for in 2021 I'm thinking about what those hunts are going to physically require, and would love to hear what others do, or don't do.
I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have access to a full gym, but I do home workouts with weights 5-6 days a week.
It you don't have workout equipment, I would grab a pack and walk up stairs with it. Any cardio with weights will help alot. If you have kids throw them on your back and do squats with them. Mtntough has full body workout with no weights that are pretty good. If you are ok with paying a little for the app.

This season my workout has been in the toilet. Six months of rehab on the shoulder. Finally out of rehab but will still be doing it all on my own.
I've been busy with the yard and garden with all the watering and it's not all in one spot. So the legs are getting a little workout.
Need to see if I can tolerate shooting with a lite cal rifle before going to the 6.5 cm.
Also the canning season has started still no excuse not to get out and try to do something other than the heat and smoke is a major problem.
All excuses but still not good enough not to get out.
Good luck everyone.

This season my workout has been in the toilet. Six months of rehab on the shoulder. Finally out of rehab but will still be doing it all on my own.
I've been busy with the yard and garden with all the watering and it's not all in one spot. So the legs are getting a little workout.
Need to see if I can tolerate shooting with a lite cal rifle before going to the 6.5 cm.
Also the canning season has started still no excuse not to get out and try to do something other than the heat and smoke is a major problem.
All excuses but still not good enough not to get out.
Good luck everyone.
Sorry to hear that, shoulder injuries suck. Canning can be a pretty decent workout though :)

Did 9 quarts of green beans a few days back. Did 8 pints of lime pickles yesterday.
I had to have a total reversed replacement in the right shoulder. Waited 22 years to do it. It all started with a dog fight in the back of my pickup grabbed the hat and swung at the dogs and the shoulder did a mild frontal dislocation. Don't let anyone ever tell you that mild frontal dislocations don't hurt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back