What do you look for in a Varmint bullet

What is your criteria for a varmint bullet? Expansion, trajectory, weight, terminal velocity, muzzle velocity, coating on the bullet, brand name. Are you you more manufacture loyal or are you looking for best performance? Do you shoot a factory bullet or a custom?

I tend to let my gun tell me which, I prefer accuracy over all. I can tailor my shot selection from that. I do use some different bullets for deer etc, but for most of my varmint shooting I use the ballistic tips.

later pup

I try several different manufactures and weights of a bullet style. I also let the gun decide with is best. I was shooting Nosler B-tips and then I tried some Barnes VLC's. I am here to tell you that the paper was screaming to me. I am very impressed. Those Barnes VLC's is what will be going down my barrel. That 222 just loves them. I went shooting with a buddy of mine he was very impressed with the groups. I didn't tell him it was the Barnes that was shooting the gun. I took the credit, but he didn't ask about the new bullets or powder.

For me, the most important criteria is accuracy. Velocity is second. When killing woodchucks to 675 yards one best have accuracy in mind or they are just spinning their wheels.

Don
smile.gif

Shaky said it well. I don't varmint hunt much but I know accuracy is a good thing to have if you are going to be shooting way the heck out there.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back